PDA

View Full Version : Gaim VS aMSN VS Kopete

Thanatios
July 3rd, 2006, 09:18 PM
Wich one do you preffer? :p

GuitarHero
July 3rd, 2006, 09:33 PM
I love trillian, sadly its only for windows.

Zelut
July 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
I use gaim or Gajim and I only use Jabber. I don't support proprietary software on my desktop, and I don't use proprietary IM clients either.

Randomskk
July 3rd, 2006, 09:50 PM
Kopete for me; it does webcam over MSN; just about talks to AIM people, and supports Jabber nicely. That's all I need, and it looks great in KDE :D

GeneralZod
July 3rd, 2006, 10:07 PM
Kopete for me; the integration into KDE (including kio_slaves, and DCOP - I've set mine up so that any e-mail alerts picked up by Kopete cause Kontact to immediately fetch them from my hotmail account :)) is its main selling point, from my point of view - my IM'ing needs are quite minimal :)

The fact that it uses the KDE addressbook and integrates with Kontact (and, in a rather bizarre but fairly neat move, into Konqueror!) is also 8)

richbarna
July 3rd, 2006, 10:12 PM
I use gaim or Gajim and I only use Jabber. I don't support proprietary software on my desktop, and I don't use proprietary IM clients either.

Me neither, but my international friends do :mad:

I use amsn, it does the job.

atoponce
July 3rd, 2006, 10:15 PM
I too am in the same boat. I don't use proprietary software or protocols. I use Jabber only, and use either Gajim (Gnome) or Psi (KDE) as my two IM clients. I also use Gaim as a last alternative.

John.Michael.Kane
July 3rd, 2006, 10:22 PM
What IM/P2P telephony programs other then Gajim/gaim/Jabber can be listed as non-proprietary.

atoponce
July 3rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
What IM/P2P telephony programs other then Gajim/gaim/Jabber can be listed as non-proprietary. Wikipedia has a great list of IM clients (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_instant_messengers), what they connect to, their license and platform support. There are plenty free (as in speech) clients out there that connect to Jabber. However, besides Jingle (which rocks!), I don't know of any other open protocols outside of Jabber. Anyone?

John.Michael.Kane
July 3rd, 2006, 10:40 PM
atoponce thanks for the info.

Rackerz
July 3rd, 2006, 11:34 PM
Mercury Messenger should be in here, it works great! It's the only IM client that I can use webcam in!

Michael_aust
July 3rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
I do not use any of them. I like Kmess. If I ran gnome I would use gaim, I cant use Kopete because it sends my cpu usage souring for some reason.

Miki01
July 4th, 2006, 12:06 AM
I use aMSN, but I don't like that it makes the preview of your display picture look all pixely and gross

Kimm
July 4th, 2006, 12:13 AM
I find Kopete to be a superior IM client, but since I'm a GTK guy, I usualy use Gaim.

Now that Kopete 0.12 has been released though... I'm giving it a try, running it in XFCE for a while.
It does have webcam support, and the layout is... beautifull!!

(Using it for MSN)

I too am in the same boat. I don't use proprietary software or protocols. I use Jabber only, and use either Gajim (Gnome) or Psi (KDE) as my two IM clients. I also use Gaim as a last alternative.

If your chatting with people on MSN, Yahoo, AIM, Gadu-Gadu or any other proprietary chat system, there is no going around using proprietary protocols. Not even by using Transports in Jabber. Even though your computer is technicaly not connected to the MSN/* network, the data you transmit will go through their protocols and servers... unfortunantely

Edit:

I do not use any of them. I like Kmess. If I ran gnome I would use gaim, I cant use Kopete because it sends my cpu usage souring for some reason.

Try building Kopete 0.12, it was released after Dapper so its not in the repositories. But it is deffinently worth checking out!!
(If you dont want to build it, PM me and we can arrange a "meeting" over Jabber so that I can send you a checkinstall package :) )

grte
July 4th, 2006, 01:34 AM
GAIM or Centericq, depending on what I'm doing.

fluffington
July 4th, 2006, 04:00 AM
I've been trying out GNOME lately, and Gaim along with it. I much prefer Kopete, though, and will probably go back to it later in the month.

tsb
July 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM
All this non-proprietary nonsense cracks me up. Nearly everything we do involves something proprietary in some way. Either go live in a cave or get over it. ;)

skull_leader
July 4th, 2006, 07:53 AM
All this non-proprietary nonsense cracks me up. Nearly everything we do involves something proprietary in some way. Either go live in a cave or get over it. ;)

I don't want to start an argument or derail the thread, but I personally take my hat off to people who manage not to use proprietary software [other than say, BIOS and what have you]. They seem like todays vegan, pioneering a healthy model for doing things without the rest of the world helping them out. I hope I get to that point in my e-diet, someday.

Anyway, Gaim + a few plugins is pretty much all I need. I started using it before I found out about Linux, and it got rid of the Y!, MSN, and AIM clients for me.

yaztromo
July 4th, 2006, 09:36 AM
I use Gaim on kubuntu. Kopete displays users avatars as part of the toolbar, which even with the toolbar at full size makes them too small.

-Rick-
July 4th, 2006, 09:42 AM
I prefer kopete. Lots of neat features and integration.

I use Gaim on kubuntu. Kopete displays users avatars as part of the toolbar, which even with the toolbar at full size makes them too small.

Latest Kopete versions will display the avatar in the chat window itself(in front of each chat message). They are at full size.

awakatanka
July 4th, 2006, 09:46 AM
I don't want to start an argument or derail the thread, but I personally take my hat off to people who manage not to use proprietary software [other than say, BIOS and what have you]. They seem like todays vegan, pioneering a healthy model for doing things without the rest of the world helping them out. I hope I get to that point in my e-diet, someday.

Anyway, Gaim + a few plugins is pretty much all I need. I started using it before I found out about Linux, and it got rid of the Y!, MSN, and AIM clients for me.
Did they build there pc by themself? Everything around us is proprietary. Lots of things need/use proprietary software. I use something because its good , proprietary our not. They also on this forum, this forum is proprietary and it sends proprietary data. ;)

yaztromo
July 4th, 2006, 02:13 PM
I prefer kopete. Lots of neat features and integration.

Latest Kopete versions will display the avatar in the chat window itself(in front of each chat message). They are at full size.

Well that's no better at all then. Having my chat window scroll the same two avatars through a conversation is daft. Hope kopete 1 on kde4 will get it right.

atoponce
July 4th, 2006, 03:47 PM
All this non-proprietary nonsense cracks me up. Nearly everything we do involves something proprietary in some way. Either go live in a cave or get over it. ;) Hehe. It is hard for someone who holds different ideals about proprietary software to see the big picture with free (as in speech) software.

I only use proprietary software at work, which forces me to use Windows XP. But even at that, I also have an Ubuntu desktop at my desk, that has enabled me to move 90% of work to there. At home, I don't miss it.

Call it living in a cave, or whatever you like, but I have never looked back, and I have gotten along great without ever needing proprietary software. I like the community that is built around free software and the trust that is established.

tsb
July 4th, 2006, 04:05 PM
You do understand that you are using proprietary software when you use your PC and use the web, correct? You will never be out of the shadow of proprietary software unless you live in a cave with no advanced technology. Kinda hypocritical when you think about it. Why is it only OK when it's necessary?

AirRaven
July 4th, 2006, 11:35 PM
I'll have to go with Kopete.

It's by far the most complete solution as far as MSN support goes. Since the vast majority of my contacts are on MSN, it fits my needs the best.

Unfortunately, it's a Qt app, and its AIM and Yahoo! functionality is absolutely pathetic. Aim can't handle file transfers, and Yahoo doesn't even connect.

But with the latest version supporting Adium X Chat Window styles, it's easily the best looking out of all the options.

If it had AIM support worth using, and MSN file transfer speeds that aren't as throttled as Gaim, then it'd be my obvious choice for IM.

Johnsie
July 4th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I havent foind an IM for Linux as good as msn messenger. I like the multimedia stuff and the fact that most of my friends actually use it.

With regard to non-prop software.... Choosing to only use non-prop software limits your choice of software, sometimes for the worse. Don't talk to me about freedom if your own choice restricts you from having the freedom to use good software :-)

atoponce
July 5th, 2006, 01:05 AM
You do understand that you are using proprietary software when you use your PC and use the web, correct? You will never be out of the shadow of proprietary software unless you live in a cave with no advanced technology. Kinda hypocritical when you think about it. Why is it only OK when it's necessary?
And what proprietary systems am I using? Windows at my job? Sure, I could have another job I guess. My BIOS? Don't really care, and I don't have a choice anyway. My ISP? How are they proprietary? Maybe you could give some specific examples rather than call me hypocritical. Every last piece of software that resides on my computer is licensed under the GPL. Please enlighten me as to what proprietary software I am using.

araz
December 15th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Mercury Messenger should be, at least one alternative.

Nonno Bassotto
December 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I voted for Gaim, but I miss video support.

BarfBag
December 15th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Trillian beats all.

If I'm just using MSN (which is close to never), I like to use aMSN. I usually use Gaim for everything else (including MSN when I'm logged onto all three).

UbuWu
December 17th, 2006, 02:43 PM
I really like eMeSeNe (http://emesene-msn.blogspot.com/) :KS

total wormage
December 17th, 2006, 02:56 PM
i _love_ bitlbee
i use it in my irssi which also connects to other IRC servers, so i have all my IM-ing in just one terminal

pick a server, follow the 'quickstart' instructions, and of you go!http://www.bitlbee.org/main.php/servers.html

for file-transfers i use gaim, but i don't often use file-transfers, so that's not a problem

shining
December 17th, 2006, 04:16 PM
I was using Gaim as a Jabber client, and it's really nice, clean and beautiful interface.
But as I'm using kde for a while, I looked for a kde and/or qt client. I first tried kopete, but I didn't really like it.
Then I tried psi, it looked even more ugly and confusing than kopete at start, but after configuring it a bit, the look and the behavior got much better.
So now I'm using psi and I appreciate it, but I'm not sure which one I prefer between psi and gaim. I'm sticking with psi currently because it's qt, and it apparently has better support for Jabber.

Cyvros
December 18th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Gaim. Never used the other two, to be quite honest. I'll use Meebo (apparently Gaim-based) when I'm not at home. (Also use Portable Gaim when I can.)

sweemeng
December 18th, 2006, 08:16 AM
unless you live with friends that use open source software only, you don't really have much of a choice. maybe it is just me(or my friends rather), that use messenger service as the main mean of communication.

any i voted on kopete, because it integrate well with kde. but gaim, to me is still good.

i used to love amsn, it is easy to capture the emoticons. which is cool, but since, i sometime chat with my friends in chinese.

talbain
December 18th, 2006, 08:18 AM
amsn's fonts look horrible... no antialias? gtk1.2? fix? i use gaim and i like it a lot, what i hate the most about it is the system to block ppl (or maybe i didnt learn how to do it yet) but sure do hate typing each contact's mail addres everytime i wanna block someone, voice and video would be nice but considering all the protocols it supports i really cant complain, fast simple, staright-foward, just please fix me the blocking method... or someone enlighten me. :)

Cyfr
December 18th, 2006, 12:03 PM
I use aMSN, it is simply much closer to home for MSN than gaim is. Mainly due to webcam function.

I would prefer to use gaim if it had msn webcam. :(

OffHand
December 18th, 2006, 12:53 PM
aMSN wins hands down. Only after fixing the fonts and adjusting window management though. The default aMSN looks like crap. Functionality wise aMSN has the most features.

dbbolton
December 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM
gaim. nice and simple.

jwdvd
December 18th, 2006, 01:36 PM
aMSN for me, was using GAIM for about a year though, i loved triliian in windows for years. only reallyuse msn now, dont have too many people left on icq (uuhh ohh) or aim.it says a lot about how M$have managed to corner the messenger market now :-(

RAV TUX
December 18th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I used to use GAIM but I have been using Kopete more lately

Gargamella
December 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I've tried them all...but the best I think it's Gaim

with kopete I had problems with file tranfers and online status...amsn i think it's still too lite to be a good IM,Gaim is good.

We still need the voice plugin to talk, anyway I don't miss it too much

katgfan
December 18th, 2006, 05:07 PM
I never tried other messenger other than Gaim. Maybe because im happy with it. Another Gaim vote here.

super breadfish
December 18th, 2006, 09:48 PM
I've tried all three, but I'm not that fond of any of them. I use Gaim mostly. Guess I just got too used to Messenger on Windows.

ComplexNumber
December 18th, 2006, 11:03 PM
I used to use GAIM but I have been using Kopete more lately
just curious, but what do you prefer about it over gaim?

RAV TUX
December 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM
just curious, but what do you prefer about it over gaim?
good question. I am not even sure that it's a matter of which features I like over the other.

I honestly like them both, I have just been using Kopete more often.

iPower
December 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM
gaim

daniminas
December 19th, 2006, 05:05 PM
i'm a Gaim user to... but aMSN too..

SyL
December 20th, 2006, 07:37 PM
Free free free free free
but Gaim is coming from a free ground

ComplexNumber
December 20th, 2006, 08:43 PM
good question. I am not even sure that it's a matter of which features I like over the other.

I honestly like them both, I have just been using Kopete more often.
therefore, if you started using gaim again, you would start preferring that again, i guess. i think that, in many occassions, familiarity determines preference to a greater extent then quality and features.

iPirates
December 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Gaim

n.aggel
December 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM
i also use gaim. Kopete doesn't look nice on Gnome....