PDA

View Full Version : Those who shouldn't get linux...

codypumper
July 3rd, 2006, 09:13 PM
I was at a presentation and the computer they had froze up. This guy goes up there and turns the monitor (it was also hooked up to a projector) off and on hoping to fix it...
He shouldn't get linux. This thread is for joking about people who are best off without linux.

Ptero-4
July 3rd, 2006, 09:22 PM
Also shouldn't get Linux those who complain that the computer won't work, and they're in the middle of a power outage.

Biltong (Dee)
July 3rd, 2006, 09:30 PM
People with perfect manicures and even more perfectly coiffed hair should not get Linux

richbarna
July 3rd, 2006, 09:35 PM
People who break their "cd rom tray" and phone the technician to say that their "coffee mug holder" is broken, shouldn't use linux.

aysiu
July 3rd, 2006, 09:44 PM
Someone who turns a monitor on and off when a computer freezes up shouldn't be using a computer at all--it doesn't matter what operating system is on that computer.

I'd say those who shouldn't get into Linux would fit into these categories:

1. Windows power user with very peculiar and obscure program needs who thinks she knows a lot about computers but does not want to ever touch the command-line.

2. A basic user who has needs Linux could meet but who knows next to nothing about (and wants to know nothing about) installing an operating system. This person also knows no one who will install Linux for her.

3. Someone who insists on using a Windows-preloaded computer with Linux-incompatible hardware and yet wants to install Linux on that computer and not buy new hardware.

Derek Djons
July 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
Someone who turns a monitor on and off when a computer freezes up shouldn't be using a computer at all--it doesn't matter what operating system is on that computer.

I'd say those who shouldn't get into Linux would fit into these categories:

1. Windows power user with very peculiar and obscure program needs who thinks she knows a lot about computers but does not want to ever touch the command-line.

2. A basic user who has needs Linux could meet but who knows next to nothing about (and wants to know nothing about) installing an operating system. This person also knows no one who will install Linux for her.

3. Someone who insists on using a Windows-preloaded computer with Linux-incompatible hardware and yet wants to install Linux on that computer and not buy new hardware.

As always you're being sharp and precise! :)

clparker
July 3rd, 2006, 09:49 PM
I really beleive the best attitude to have on the subject is: that windows isn't for everybody, but neither is linux, and for mac users? they're just ellitists, too lazy to bother with anyform of tinkering.

aysiu
July 3rd, 2006, 09:51 PM
Plenty of Mac users tinker--they love the *nix-like structure of OS X, and they Fink apps and edit .plist files like crazy.

Okay, they're not the majority, but they're out there.

You're right there--people should pick what works best for them. Windows doesn't meet everyone's needs, nor does Linux, nor does Mac.

hizaguchi
July 3rd, 2006, 10:45 PM
People who still use the 640x480 resolution shouldn't use Linux. They wouldn't be able to read error messages that occured 4 lines ago. (Ugh, I hate working on my little brother's computer.)

AndyCooll
July 3rd, 2006, 11:54 PM
Remember the original poster made clear...this is a joking thread, no serious comments!!!

So, here's my two pence worth. Those people who when presented with a choice and can't make their mind up ...they shouldn't get Linux.

You know the type ...they're stood in a line at a cafe and can't decide what type of coffee to have today, what flavour of sandwich they want or what cake they fancy.

Now what distro shall I choose ...hmmm? What media player ...hmmm? GNOME or KDE ...hmmm?

:cool:

professor_chaos
July 4th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Those people that love cats and hate dogs...shouldn't get linux.

Because cats just work, and dogs need a lot of configuration. :)

G Morgan
July 4th, 2006, 02:00 AM

I love cats because not having to configure a dog gives me more time to configure Linux.

People who have been brainwashed into thinking price == quality shouldn't use Linux (thats the mathematical == rather than the C ==, in this case its suggests price guarentees quality).

michaeljb2005
July 4th, 2006, 02:05 AM
What about people who are considering moving to antarctica, should they use linux?

Rhapsody
July 4th, 2006, 02:21 AM
What about people who are considering moving to antarctica, should they use linux?
Well my PC seems to deal with extremes in temperature better while running Ubuntu than Windows, so by all means! :)

codypumper
July 4th, 2006, 02:26 AM
Those who do not know what an operating system is. Trust me, there are plenty of them.

fuscia
July 4th, 2006, 02:40 AM
a friend's mom once locked her keys in her car. eventually, someone got them out with a coat hanger. from then on, she kept a coat hanger in her trunk in case it ever happened again.

someone i know very well, drives down the middle of the roads in the small town in which he lives. i asked him once "why do you drive down the middle of the road?" he responded "i like to be able to make a choice." i asked him "did it ever occur to you that if you stayed on your own side of the road, you wouldn't have to make a choice?" he responded "oh! i never thought of that!"

someone else i know really, really well has hit himself in the head with a golf ball, on two different occassions, and yet, he uses linux.

RAV TUX
July 4th, 2006, 02:56 AM
People who don't like bunnies shouldn't use linux.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9408/bunnycomputer3sk.th.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bunnycomputer3sk.jpg)

fuscia
July 4th, 2006, 03:06 AM

you forgot to exclude people who don't like dung beetles.

picpak
July 4th, 2006, 04:04 AM
When you actually say this:

Are you kidding? At first, I thought FTP has something to do with Adobe Acrobat Reader. I don't even know HOW to make an FTP file.

I've never used a floppy...

I had to reinstall Windows 98 after I screwed up my sound card...and it was noticeably more unstable. See, Windows originally builds their computer crappily.

(Yes, these are real posts from old forums...and sometimes I still refer to an operating system as a computer)

-deadcats
July 4th, 2006, 04:51 AM
This is easy: Anyone unwilling to learn something different. Forget about how you did (or didn't) do it in Windows.

regards,
-dc

professor_chaos
July 4th, 2006, 05:21 AM

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/9408/bunnycomputer3sk.th.jpg (http://img133.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bunnycomputer3sk.jpg)

This must be the new Rabbix distro I have heard so much about. I heard it is lightening fast, but from the looks of it, it appears rather slow. :)

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Someone who calls their tower the CPU should not use Linux.

Brando569
July 4th, 2006, 06:17 AM

:D that one made me laugh

tsb
July 4th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Rabbit tastes great. It's a shame it isn't a more popular meat.

richbarna
July 4th, 2006, 09:06 AM

I'm sure Tux would feel right at home :)

jason.b.c
July 4th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Someone who calls their tower the CPU should not use Linux.

Ha Ha, It's funny you mention that,
Because these people do.. http://anthro.com/adetailpage.aspx?plid=6&matnbr=541BK

See what i'm talking about..??

Man their stuff is expensive..!![-(

beercz
July 4th, 2006, 10:53 AM
My Parents!!
The are confused enough as it is!!

RAV TUX
July 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM
you forgot to exclude people who don't like dung beetles.

Especially people who don't like Scarabs (Dung Beetles) or M.C. Escher should not use linux!

fuscia
July 4th, 2006, 02:52 PM
This must be the new Rabbix distro I have heard so much about. I heard it is lightening fast, but from the looks of it, it appears rather slow. :)

people who go to distrowatch and look up rabbix, shouldn't use linux. so anyway, is the extra price for a macbook pro really worth it, or should i just get a macbook?

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Ha Ha, It's funny you mention that,
Because these people do.. http://anthro.com/adetailpage.aspx?plid=6&matnbr=541BK

See what i'm talking about..??

Man their stuff is expensive..!![-(

ROFLMAO! Who makes that CPU? Intel or AMD! I want a CPU that big in my computer tower. \\:D/ 8-[

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 03:21 PM
people who go to distrowatch and look up rabbix, shouldn't use linux. so anyway, is the extra price for a macbook pro really worth it, or should i just get a macbook?

For email and websurfing and basic multimedia I would say a macbook.

BTW, I like bunnies. They taste like chicken.

fuscia
July 4th, 2006, 03:31 PM
BTW, I like bunnies. They taste like chicken.

i realize now it must have been a joke, but when i was a kid, i saw a supposed interview with a cannibal in which he said the same thing about people.

btw, did you hear about the cannibal who got expelled for buttering up a teacher? (ouch!)

mstlyevil
July 4th, 2006, 03:41 PM
i realize now it must have been a joke, but when i was a kid, i saw a supposed interview with a cannibal in which he said the same thing about people.

btw, did you hear about the cannibal who got expelled for buttering up a teacher? (ouch!)

No tell me more!:twisted:

tsb
July 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM

Actually fried rabbit does taste remarkedly similar to fried chicken. It has a better taste though IMO. Kinda like wild turkey tastes much better than farm raised for those who have experienced both.

I saw a cannibal on a NG special say the same thing. Anyone here born with an extra leg we could try?

RAV TUX
July 4th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Crazy Cannibal everyone knows that butter is too high in Cholesterol, you should only use Olive Oil.

Cannibals should not use Linux

Actually fried rabbit does taste remarkedly similar to fried chicken. It has a better taste though IMO. Kinda like wild turkey tastes much better than farm raised for those who have experienced both.

NO, NO , NO! don't eat the bunnies!

pet the bunnies nice, don't eat them.

People who eat bunnies should not use Linux

fuscia
July 4th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Cannibals should not use Linux

what's eating you? cannibals should be able to use linux as much as anyone else.

Biltong (Dee)
July 4th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I don't think that mail gets shipped to the western side of Papua New Guinea, so I doubt there are any Linux loving Cannibals out there.:-(
They also eat rabbits as an appertif before the main meal :-)

Iandefor
July 4th, 2006, 07:37 PM
A friend of mine once got a tech support call from a woman whose mouse was going insane. Like, it would move the cursor in the direction opposite to the direction the mouse was moved. He exhausted all the phone support options, and finally just came over. He took one look at her mouse, and turned it around so it was facing the right way... that woman oughtn't try linux.

@yozef: eat the bunny!

drfalkor
July 4th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Hardcore gamers shouldn't get linux

G Morgan
July 4th, 2006, 11:04 PM
what's eating you? cannibals should be able to use linux as much as anyone else.

Exatly its a bloody OS, a meer tool. Not a statement about your political beliefs towards cannibals. Cannibals can be a force for good in the world, you just need to unleash them on middle management types.

People who already have a religion should avoid Linux, our gods are far more fanatical than theirs.

fuscia
July 5th, 2006, 03:58 PM
skill with computers would never be found in a listing of my neighbor's fine qualities.

my neighbor: "i downloaded that program, but i can't get it to work."

me: "uh...you have to install it first."

my neighbor: "oh."

Lord Illidan
July 5th, 2006, 04:08 PM
What's wrong with eating rabbits? Very tender... In Malta, they are a national food, especially rabbit stew.

Heck, even Tolkien mentions eating rabbits or coneys in The Two Towers.

And bunnies are even tenderer... tell that to the young six year old who is already eyeing her pets with a hungry eye! (my cousin) yum yum!

Let the cannibals lose on SCO and Microsoft, and watch the carnage!

Bloch
July 5th, 2006, 04:29 PM
I was over at a friend's house clearing out some furniture. He used to have a flatmate who had left behind a computer. It cost #1,000 when he bought it about 10 years. I took the monitor when he left - it's still working well.

So we were hauling around the furniture and I asked, "Do you still have that old computer"

"Here it is," he said dragging it out from under a bed.

"Might as well throw it out. It's worth nothing by now," I said.

"It's not even a computer," he said contempuously, "It's only like the bottom part."

DoctorMO
July 5th, 2006, 07:56 PM
The bottem is well know to act as a rest for the important bits above, regulate heat and make it look sexy.

rcarring
July 6th, 2006, 06:21 AM
It was probably still running dos as well.