PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Key Board shortcuts

Robert1305
November 15th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Please can someone help me.

Every time I type something and use the shift key to insert a capital letter it gives me a different screen.

IE...sift+t= trash can...shift+s= desktop, and so on.

I have never activated any KB short cuts, so I do know how its happened, but its only started doing this in last week or so.

The only thing I have done is loaded Cairo-Dock.

I have checked every thing I can think of but I can not find anything to disable keyboard short cuts. I use Ubuntu 12.10

Regards Bob

Mr_JMM
November 15th, 2012, 05:49 PM
I don't know why it would have changed them but just to make sure, have you checked the options in keyboard short cuts (from teh system settings menu)?

Robert1305
November 15th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know why it would have changed them but just to make sure, have you checked the options in keyboard short cuts (from teh system settings menu)?

Thanks for the reply, but I have disabled every short cut I can find, in the cd settings and every other kind of settings I can find. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused:

Mr_JMM
November 15th, 2012, 06:19 PM
System Settings -> hardware -> keyboard -> shortcuts.

Odd.
I can't even find a shortcut in the default list for opening the trash can.

Sorry, I'm not sure what to suggest.

Impavidus
November 15th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Have you checked the behaviour of the control and alt keys? Do they produce the same shortcuts? Or maybe capital letters? It's just a wild guess, but some people like to exchange their control and shift keys, so they might somehow have got mixed up.

Robert1305
November 16th, 2012, 01:12 AM
Have you checked the behaviour of the control and alt keys? Do they produce the same shortcuts? Or maybe capital letters? It's just a wild guess, but some people like to exchange their control and shift keys, so they might somehow have got mixed up.

Checked that out, they are Ok, discovered that the only letters that shift the display are t and s

deadflowr
November 16th, 2012, 01:47 AM
The default layout to open your trash is super+T.(the windows button)

If you hold down the super key the default keyboard shortcuts will appear on the screen.

Review your keyboards layout at system settings> keyboard layout. Click Name(English or other name) and then click the ungrayed keyboard icon below that.