PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] motherboard died

elite0083
November 15th, 2012, 12:33 PM
I had to buy a new motherboard because my old one crapped out on me, the only problem is I couldn't get the exact same model and now I get an error when I try to run ubuntu saying run kernal first. I am currently running from a live disk, but was wondering if there is anything I can do except reinstall.

darkod
November 15th, 2012, 12:42 PM
I think it should boot fine on a new board. Did you use maybe uefi boot on the old one or legacy bios boot?

Is the hdd recognized correctly in bios? Is the sata mode same, for example AHCI, like you had on the old board?

Do you get the grub2 boot menu as normal?

elite0083
November 15th, 2012, 12:56 PM
It won't boot like normal. I get grub 2 to come up and when I click ubuntu it gives me the error I mentioned. everything is the same I believe. the exact error is error: file not found error: run kernal first

darkod
November 15th, 2012, 01:10 PM
From live mode can you open the partitions on the hdd and view the content?

Double check that the new board is not in UEFI boot mode. New boards have the uefi option but I don't know how they come by default.

I wouldn't think that a new board would confuse it so much that it doesn't boot, but I might be wrong.

elite0083
November 15th, 2012, 01:15 PM
From the live disk I can open the hdd and see everything that is in it. this motherboard doesn't have uefi it just has standard bios

darkod
November 15th, 2012, 01:32 PM
If it stops with a grub rescue> prompt, try listing all disks/partitions with:
ls (small LS)

If that shows you the partitions you expect, like (hd0,msdos1),(hd0,msdos5), you can try booting if you know which one is the root partition, like #1, #5, etc.

elite0083
November 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM
it isn't a grub rescue error. it lists all of the os I have but when I select ubuntu it looks like this

error: file not found.
error: you need to load kernel first.

darkod
November 15th, 2012, 01:40 PM
Slipped my mind. In that case, at the grub menu hit 'c' for command prompt and see what the listing shows you.

It sounds like it doesn't see the disk/partition, but lets see if that is so and why.

elite0083
November 15th, 2012, 01:41 PM
i'll restart and try that and post right after

elite0083
November 15th, 2012, 01:45 PM
I booted in and did a c and from there I did an ls and it showed the hdd. So it sees them.... was it suppose to show them without me doing anything?

darkod
November 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Can you post the results from live mode of:
sudo fdisk -l

and from the grub prompt from:
ls

elite0083
November 22nd, 2012, 03:45 AM
I tried to run boot repair, but to no avail. I had grub coming up and listing everything, but it still wasn't working right. I don't think there was any proprietary stuff because I was using the generic drivers and the on board video card. I tried to redownload 12.04, to see if there was a repair feature, but there wasn't one. I finally gave up and just reinstall it hoping that the new one would recognize the old one and transfer stuff over like it had in the past, but it didn't and I ended up having to start all the way over. thank you for the help anyway.