PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] gparted live CD

offgridguy
November 15th, 2012, 12:41 AM
I have down loaded the gparted iso and made a live CD. It works fine except i can't seem
to find the tools to exit or close when i am finished. Okay the exit icon is there but doesn't do anything. I have been doing a hard shutdown to close the program, but i
must be missing something.
Any suggestions?

Mr_JMM
November 15th, 2012, 03:25 AM
You have to double click the icon then you'll see a list of options such as shutdown, reboot and one other I forget.

Do all the otehr options work?

offgridguy
November 15th, 2012, 03:34 AM
You have to double click the icon then you'll see a list of options such as shutdown, reboot and one other I forget.

Do all the other options work?

Thank you; I will try this. None of the options in toolbar with
the exit icon seem to work.

Mr_JMM
November 15th, 2012, 03:40 AM
It sounds daft but honestly, this foxed me for ages until I realised it needed double clicking.

Hopefully this will fix it. I just tried a USB install of Gparted 0.14.0-1 and not much has changed. Fingers crossed.

offgridguy
November 15th, 2012, 03:49 AM
It sounds daft but honestly, this foxed me for ages until I realised it needed double clicking.

Hopefully this will fix it. I just tried a USB install of Gparted 0.14.0-1 and not much has changed. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again, I don't think i tried double clicking last time.
Can't remember for sure though.

offgridguy
November 16th, 2012, 01:33 AM
An update here, unfortunatly the double click doesn't work. When i copied the CD, I
made 2 copies, same results with both. Maybe it's the download ?:confused:

Mr_JMM
November 16th, 2012, 01:49 AM
I downloaded from teh gparted home website though it was bas**id slow.

When you start Gparted to you select anything other than default options (bar preferred language)?

Now I come to think of it, I remember that it was hit and miss with the older version on older laptops.
Are you able to select the exit button using tab button?

offgridguy
November 16th, 2012, 02:37 AM
All i have used so far is the default options. I have tried pretty much every keyboard trick i can think of.
Gparted works, i just wonder about the possible side effects of always doing
the hard shutdown?

leclerc65
November 16th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I find that Parted Magic (which contains Gparted and more) is much easier to work with.

offgridguy
November 16th, 2012, 02:44 AM
I find that Parted Magic (which contains Gparted and more) is much easier to work with.

I saw that on the website when i downloaded, but being unfamiliar with it elected
to try gparted instead.
Thanks for the tip. i will look into it.

Mr_JMM
November 16th, 2012, 02:48 AM
All i have used so far is the default options. I have tried pretty much every keyboard trick i can think of.
Gparted works, i just wonder about the possible side effects of always doing
the hard shutdown?
I tend to advise, from experience that it is not very HDD / RAM friendly and to avoid doing so. Have a play with the options you get when booting into GParted.

offgridguy
November 16th, 2012, 02:54 AM
I tend to advise, from experience that it is not very HDD / RAM friendly and to avoid doing so. Have a play with the options you get when booting into GParted.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing. On the plus side this is a restored computer
that i have dedicated to linux, to learn on and experiment with.
If it crashes i am only out my time , and even that is part of the learning curve.

coldraven
November 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
+1 for Parted Magic

offgridguy
November 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
An update here; i downloaded and burnt a parted magic live CD today, I haven't actually
used it yet as per, partitioning, but it does give me the option of logging off and
ejecting the CD.
Thank you leclerc65 for the suggestion and coldraven for the vote of confidence.

Thanks also to Mr_JMM for the help. Thread marked solved, hope it helps someone else.