PDA

View Full Version : Wii U Launch

forrestcupp
November 14th, 2012, 04:26 PM
This Sunday is the US launch of the new Wii U. I've been waiting for this since they first announced it. Good thing I preordered mine before they quickly sold out. It looks like it's going to be pretty awesome.

Is anyone else here getting one?

mips
November 14th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Is anyone else here getting one?

Not unless you're buying :p

I'm not a console fan but there are a few games like Uncharted etc that are very tempting.

forrestcupp
November 14th, 2012, 06:45 PM
Not unless you're buying :p

I'm not a console fan but there are a few games like Uncharted etc that are very tempting.

Ever since I started playing games on consoles, I've had a lot less headaches with Linux.

The thing I'm liking about the Wii U is that Nintendo is finally getting back to being able to satisfy the hardcore gaming. It looks like it will work out well for party games and hardcore. The videos for Zombi U look pretty awesome for how the Gamepad works with the game.

Beardedturtle
November 15th, 2012, 01:09 AM
I am happy with my PS3 and PS Vita, Nintendo was cool back in the 80's and 90's now they just rehash old games and slap a new number on it. =\ Sony is working on a app for the PS3 that will make the vita act like a Wii U controller no new info other then that at this time.

Jakin
November 15th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I am happy with my PS3 and PS Vita, Nintendo was cool back in the 80's and 90's now they just rehash old games and slap a new number on it. =\ Sony is working on a app for the PS3 that will make the vita act like a Wii U controller no new info other then that at this time.

Sounds like they are rushing to copycat :lolflag:

I eagarly await wii U :D

sffvba[e0rt
November 15th, 2012, 01:43 AM
/me patiently waits for his Ouya to be shipped...

forrestcupp
November 15th, 2012, 03:52 AM

The difference is that there won't be many games that take advantage of it, because the game devs don't want to make games that people without the Vita can buy. On the other hand, about every game created for the Wii U will take advantage of the Gamepad because it's integrated and the main feature. That, plus the fact that Wii U's hardware is newer and better. Also, they're not just only rehashing old games. There is a lot of awesome stuff coming out for the Wii U, including an unprecedented number of 3rd party games.

But I can understand if you already have a PS3 and Vita that you wouldn't want to lay down the cash for another system. But I'm pretty stoked about the possibilities of the Wii U.

doorknob60
November 15th, 2012, 08:23 AM
I will for sure get a Wii U sometime within the next year, I just love Nintendo consoles. Though for now, my PS3 and Wii are more than enough to keep me occupied, until some more games come out, and maybe a price drop :)

forrestcupp
November 15th, 2012, 01:35 PM
I will for sure get a Wii U sometime within the next year, I just love Nintendo consoles. Though for now, my PS3 and Wii are more than enough to keep me occupied, until some more games come out, and maybe a price drop :)

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about having an HD Zelda game. But who knows when that will happen.

mamamia88
November 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM
I played it at gamestop. What's the point of releasing a console that is capable of playing modern games but then giving us a controller the size of a tablet and the wii mote combo as the only options for playing these games? The only game they had was Rayman and I found myself constantly having to look down from the 40" tv in front of me to the tiny tablet in my hands. This equals fail for me. Some companies will probably figure out good controls for it but until they come out with a controller that I can play for more than half hour with then forget it. Edit they may have games like Call of Duty and Batman that look slightly better than what is already out there but, there is no way in hell i'm playing them with that piece of crap controller. If they released a better controller and continued to charge $50 instead of $60 for games for the next year until the new playstation or xbox came out i would consider it. But right now forget about it

HansKisaragi
November 15th, 2012, 05:48 PM
No RPGs at launch = no purchase.. I might get one next year when Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is released.

forrestcupp
November 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I played it at gamestop. What's the point of releasing a console that is capable of playing modern games but then giving us a controller the size of a tablet and the wii mote combo as the only options for playing these games? The only game they had was Rayman and I found myself constantly having to look down from the 40" tv in front of me to the tiny tablet in my hands. This equals fail for me. Some companies will probably figure out good controls for it but until they come out with a controller that I can play for more than half hour with then forget it. Edit they may have games like Call of Duty and Batman that look slightly better than what is already out there but, there is no way in hell i'm playing them with that piece of crap controller. If they released a better controller and continued to charge $50 instead of $60 for games for the next year until the new playstation or xbox came out i would consider it. But right now forget about it
They have the Pro Controller, which is your standard controller. Personally, I don't see the point of it since most games are going to be developed to take advantage of the Gamepad's features. I don't know about Rayman, but have you seen videos of how ZombiU uses the Gamepad? I think that's a little more like what Nintendo dreamed up. ZombiU's use of the Gamepad is pretty darned awesome, and it shows you some of the capabilities of a new paradigm.

In the beginning, you're going to see some games that use the Gamepad in unintuitive ways. But you're going to start seeing more games that make you wonder why it took them this long to come out with something like that.

mamamia88
November 15th, 2012, 10:17 PM
They have the Pro Controller, which is your standard controller. Personally, I don't see the point of it since most games are going to be developed to take advantage of the Gamepad's features. I don't know about Rayman, but have you seen videos of how ZombiU uses the Gamepad? I think that's a little more like what Nintendo dreamed up. ZombiU's use of the Gamepad is pretty darned awesome, and it shows you some of the capabilities of a new paradigm.

In the beginning, you're going to see some games that use the Gamepad in unintuitive ways. But you're going to start seeing more games that make you wonder why it took them this long to come out with something like that.

still the gamepad is too large and awkward to use even if you aren't using the touch pad. i'll have to try zombie u myself to see.

tjeremiah
November 16th, 2012, 02:29 AM
I've moved to PC. Was a MASSIVE NINTENDO Fanboy but the Wii did it for me.

tjeremiah
November 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM
just read about the TVii feature. Sounds pretty cool.

forrestcupp
November 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Well, I got my Wii U, and I can say that it doesn't disappoint. Pretty amazing stuff. And even though the Gamepad is big, it is extremely light and comfortable to hold. All of the buttons and analog sticks are just as close of a reach from your thumbs as any other gamepad. The only real difference is that your hands are a little bit farther apart, and it adds some pretty awesome features.

Seeing it in action is a thousand times better than reading about it on paper.

cheesekiller
December 23rd, 2012, 07:39 AM
so anyone tried connecting a pro controller to ubuntu to see if itd work? can't seem to figure out the bluetooth pin....

bcschmerker
December 23rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
Notwithstanding a family-business lost-time accident that derailed my entire Christmas giftlist and then some, I'm taking the WiiŽ U™ under advisement - it uses the existing controllers and software from my house's vintage WiiŽ and adds capabilities that previously required add-ons for the WiiŽ Remote. From a practical perspective, the Pro Controller integrates the Remote and Classic Controller in one housing; the Gamepad adds an internal display screen to the Pro Controller.

I plan on reading the documentation from NintendoŽ on the WiiŽ U™ to see whether it uses 1000Base-T4 directly or still requires a USB host adapter (which the vintage WiiŽ required for 100Base-TX).

cheesekiller
December 23rd, 2012, 08:18 AM
its a fun console, i own one if you have any questions. I'm just wondering if theres a way to pair the pro controller with android or pc. it has a very nice feel to it and the 80 hour battery life is no joke.

BigSilly
December 23rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Really want to get the Wii U in the New Year. Skint right now though. :(

Luckily, I still have my beloved original Wii, which is getting some proper hammer over Christmas. Got a cartload of games I haven't finished yet (including the beautiful Skyward Sword), and replaying the Mario Galaxy games too, starting with the first. Just amazing, and it hasn't aged one iota.

Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy. And yes I'm old enough to know better! :D

mr john
December 23rd, 2012, 02:55 PM
I think I'll give this one a miss. Either way, it's better to wait a year or two until there is a decent collection of games (and any initial bugs are sorted out). I bought the wii when it was new and it was really buggy.

cheesekiller
December 25th, 2012, 04:22 AM
there are some bugs, ill admit, but they seem to be fixing them quickly. the thing i hate is the lack of party chat. miiverse is exceptionally nice and the web browser is solid which is something rarely said of a game console. youtube on here is better then on pc. anything html5 runs perfect but flash or java arent supported, that said it loads quickly and lets you watch videos while browseing.

mr john
December 25th, 2012, 06:57 AM
I saw it in Duinsa today... The hardware is a bit ugly. I think they released it a bit too late to make a serious impact.

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2012, 03:30 AM
I plan on reading the documentation from NintendoŽ on the WiiŽ U™ to see whether it uses 1000Base-T4 directly or still requires a USB host adapter (which the vintage WiiŽ required for 100Base-TX).It has built in wifi, but you still need the adapter for ethernet.

Really want to get the Wii U in the New Year. Skint right now though. :(

Luckily, I still have my beloved original Wii, which is getting some proper hammer over Christmas. Got a cartload of games I haven't finished yet (including the beautiful Skyward Sword), and replaying the Mario Galaxy games too, starting with the first. Just amazing, and it hasn't aged one iota.

Yes I am a Nintendo fanboy. And yes I'm old enough to know better! :DI'm playing through Skyward Sword for the first time on my Wii U right now. The colors look slightly better going through the Wii U's HDMI.

I'm loving the Wii U.

bcschmerker
December 26th, 2012, 08:29 AM
It has built in wifi, but you still need the adapter for ethernet....Exactly as I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Exactly as I suspected. Thanks for the confirmation.

I'm pretty sure the same one from the Wii works, though. And it has tons of USB ports.

Rebelli0us
December 26th, 2012, 03:42 PM
I'm using the "old" Wii remote as a mouse, best thing ever! I wonder how long before they reverse-engineer the Wii-U and write a driver for it. I've always thought that Nintendo was near-sighted for not making their hardware multi-platform.

BigSilly
December 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Can anyone confirm whether or not Pro Evolution Soccer is coming to the Wii U? The console will have arrived by that point imho. And no, I won't play FIFA. And no, it's not my loss. :p

forrestcupp
December 26th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Can anyone confirm whether or not Pro Evolution Soccer is coming to the Wii U? The console will have arrived by that point imho. And no, I won't play FIFA. And no, it's not my loss. :p

I kind of doubt if 2013 will come, but I'll bet the next one will. Tim Blair said:

"At the time we don't plan to make PES for the Wii U or the PS Vita. This does not mean we never will. We are still exploring these exciting platforms to make a successful game that takes advantage of these platforms''
It's pretty stupid of them to make it for the Wii and not the Wii U.

BigSilly
December 26th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Yes I didn't expect them to do PES 2013 for it, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what they do with 2014 on the Wii U, should it happen.

The PES series on the original Wii has to be the finest football game there's ever been. You kinda start it wondering how the hell you deal with all those players and the lines you draw, but after some practice later you realise you'll never play the game with a regular pad again! The scope of control the game offers is simply mind boggling and always surprising, and makes PES Wii my daily gameplay drug.

The minute it turns up on Wii U, I'm in. :)

mips
December 26th, 2012, 07:48 PM
It's pretty stupid of them to make it for the Wii and not the Wii U.

Not been following things but does the Wii U not have backwards compatibility with the Wii?

BigSilly
December 26th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Not been following things but does the Wii U not have backwards compatibility with the Wii?

It does but it's not going to be the same as a PES developed uniquely for the Wii U.

I hope.

forrestcupp
December 27th, 2012, 03:48 PM

Yeah, it has perfect compatibility with Wii games. It's hardly worth mentioning, but the HDMI actually enhances the colors of Wii games a little. And I see your point, but game devs need to just let the Wii die now and move on.