PDA

View Full Version : GCC, or G++ Problem

muffinhead
July 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
I recently downloaded gcc, or g++, along with the neccessary libraries via the Synaptic package manager.

I have to recompile VMware, in order for it to be compatable with my Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake Kernal, so I can run other OS'es in Ubuntu.

The problem is, when I downloaded gcc via synaptic, I don't think it installed at all.

I tried using the command "gcc" in the terminal, to see if it was installed, and it returned a "Command Not Found" error.

I also tried testing another way, by attempting to recompile vmware, and it say the "make" Program cannot be found:confused:.

Can someone help me get this sorted out, Thank You;)

moberry
July 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
Try installing the "buildessential" package

thumper
July 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
build-essential

moberry
July 3rd, 2006, 09:26 PM
build-essential

I thought it looked wrong, but I wasnt in front of my desktop to make sure. thanks.

muffinhead
July 3rd, 2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks got that problem sorted out, now I'm having another one: I am trying to recompile vmware, or whatever it is to run on Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (Dapper Drake).

I downloaded the tar.gz file of vmware, as there was no .deb file on thier website, I downloaded it from thier official website, It says when I try to install it this error:

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of the pre-built vmmon modules for VMware Player is suitable for your running kernel. Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module for your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

It then asks:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include],

then it complains that:

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

or it complains that: The kernel source package probably is not installed.

How the heck am I supposed to do this? Can someone please help, so I can get vmware running on ubuntu.

I believe my kernel version is: 2.6.23-i686, or something along those lines, I'll report back with the actual kernel version.

Thank you if anyone can help;)

anatol
July 4th, 2006, 01:12 AM
That didn't resolve the problem for me.

hello-world program compiled without any messages, but launching it has no result

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
printf("Hello world\n\n");
}

gcc -Wall -o test hello.c (no problem)
test (no error messages, no output)

any insight?
Thanks!

mentok
July 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM
That didn't resolve the problem for me.

hello-world program compiled without any messages, but launching it has no result

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
printf("Hello world\n\n");
}

gcc -Wall -o test hello.c (no problem)
test (no error messages, no output)

any insight?
Thanks!

There's no output because you're executing /usr/bin/test (see test(1))

To run your hello world program in the current working directory you must type

./test

anatol
July 4th, 2006, 03:38 AM
ah!

thanks!

ynef
July 4th, 2006, 06:23 AM
Thanks got that problem sorted out, now I'm having another one: I am trying to recompile vmware, or whatever it is to run on Ubuntu Linux 6.06 (Dapper Drake).

[...]
it complains that: The kernel source package probably is not installed.

Well, as you've figured out, you need to install the kernel source packages. You can install the package "linux-source" to get the full source tree. Most likely, though, you might get away with only installing the kernel headers -- try that first, you can always remove them if you don't feel like having them installed. Install the meta package "linux-headers-X" where X is the architecture that you're using with your kernel, for instance i686.

These packages are all under "Development" in Synaptic's sections.

tennvolsmb
July 9th, 2006, 03:24 AM
hey guys my gcc installed but i use nano to make my progs and everytime i type in gcc test.c it says
test.c:1:18: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
test.c: In function ‘main’:
test.c:5: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in function ‘printf’

Randomskk
July 9th, 2006, 12:11 PM
If you're writing C++, use g++ to compile it, not gcc.

tennvolsmb
July 9th, 2006, 06:00 PM
well im not using C++ yet im stil learning C so any idea on how to fix it?

ifokkema
July 9th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Well, as you've figured out, you need to install the kernel source packages. You can install the package "linux-source" to get the full source tree. Most likely, though, you might get away with only installing the kernel headers -- try that first, you can always remove them if you don't feel like having them installed. Install the meta package "linux-headers-X" where X is the architecture that you're using with your kernel, for instance i686.

These packages are all under "Development" in Synaptic's sections.
VMplayer has an package under Dapper as well, and includes the kernel modules, so you don't have to compile the whole thing.

Either way, if you want to compile anyway, install the kernel headers of your kernel and point the installer to /usr/src/linux-headers-[kernel version]/include/linux.

muffinhead
July 10th, 2006, 04:05 AM
Thanks, but I cannot download, or install large files from the terminal, or synaptic.

I'd have to download with a download accelerator, because of currently being on 56k dial-up, without a choice.

This is also where I have a problem, because I want to download XGL and Compiz, but the files are to large to download via the terminal, so I have to find a way to obtain, or download a tar.gz of XGL, and compiz, with a download accelerator.

I appreciate your reply, Thank You;)

ifokkema
July 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Thanks, but I cannot download, or install large files from the terminal, or synaptic.

I'd have to download with a download accelerator, because of currently being on 56k dial-up, without a choice.

This is also where I have a problem, because I want to download XGL and Compiz, but the files are to large to download via the terminal, so I have to find a way to obtain, or download a tar.gz of XGL, and compiz, with a download accelerator.

I appreciate your reply, Thank You;)
As far as I know, tar.gz files usually are bigger than .deb files. You can retreive .deb files through your download accellerator by getting them directly from the server:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/multiverse/v/vmware-player/vmware-player_1.0.1-4_i386.deb
You can deduce the exact location by looking at the 'Filename' info in

apt-cache show <package-name>
Hope this helps you in any way.