PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] switching ubuntus and LTS

juniper1982
November 13th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Hello,

I did a network install whereby I downloaded a linux kernel with a initrd image and booted them with an existing ubuntu installation. I then picked lubuntu-desktop when I was asked to choose various software package. this is all 12.04. I then read that lubuntu 12.04 won't be a long term release. So I installed ubuntu-desktop and uninstalled lxde desktop.

Will this now be part of the long term release? I don't get how a specific software package (in this case lubuntu) changes the release from long term to not.

blackbird34
November 13th, 2012, 10:46 PM
If i understand Ubuntu in any way their 5 year support covers all the packages included in /made for the default desktop, so however you obtain ubuntu-desktop updates will come in for all its packages as long as they're available...

Frogs Hair
November 13th, 2012, 10:51 PM
Check your version with the following command.
lsb_release -a

juniper1982
November 15th, 2012, 10:51 PM
hmm. blackbird thinks i am safe.

lsb_release -a says

No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS
Release: 12.04
Codename: precise

cwsnyder
November 16th, 2012, 12:17 AM
What won't be supported beyond 18 months is the Lubuntu specific packaging (lubuntu-desktop, PCManFM, etc.) You may have to transition to Xubuntu-desktop or Unity if you want to stay with 12.04 after October 2013 (or for many of the same packages, go with Debian 7 with LXDE).