PDA

View Full Version : Future of the OS's to come?

warp99
July 3rd, 2006, 06:40 PM
I read in a recent article about an online desktop called You OS. The site has a demo:

https://www.youos.com/

I ran the demo and was impressed with the layout and design, but speed would be an issue if you didn't have broadband. :cool:

Engnome
July 3rd, 2006, 06:44 PM
I think OS's like are a _long_ way into the future. A nice concept though. This will be another place were MS pfilosofy "1 person = 1 computer = 1 license" doesn't work anymore:p

awakatanka
July 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM
Probably it is the future, They already tryed to go that way a few years ago but that was to early and they will try it again. Just a network PC without hd and a little memory to load this all.

I realy don't want it and hope it will never be there. You have to draw youre creditcard for everything then No freedom, no local access of youre own files, and hand over all yore privacy to a thirtparty that can lock you out with 1 button.

tsb
July 3rd, 2006, 07:05 PM
The future is an OS/computing machine hardwired into our brains. If you don't trust me, ask Steven Hawking. ;)

warp99
July 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
The future is an OS/computing machine hardwired into our brains. If you don't trust me, ask Steven Hawking. ;)

With this hardwiring do we have to endure a terrible script and bad acting? :rolleyes:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113481/

Derek Djons
July 3rd, 2006, 07:20 PM
Though such kinds of things are revolutionary and brand new... they scare me off a bit.

Suddenly it's not your machine anymore, it's not your OS of choice and the developers, industry & anti-legitimate and such kind of organizations practically control everything you do.

This is just a brainstorm of negative things which come up in me. Of course such systems also have there benefits... but luckely, it's still are very futuristic and far away from my bed (as we say it in The Netherlands).

nuvo
July 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
The chances of that catching on are slim unless you're looking for a way around laptops and such.
For one, something like that would be slow (the demo os pretty sluggish, taking a fair while to lode window decorations).
Then there's the whole "do you trust some faceless company with your important files?" issue.
I wouldn't like to store my stuff on there as I'd be scared of it being "accidentally" removed or popping up somewhere else (ah, the joys of software development).
I also think people would have a problem with any downtime issues.
It's all well and good saying "access your desktop anywhere!", but if you can't because there's downtime, you're up one well known creek without one much needed rowing tool.
Some of the app idea's are nice, but many have been done (online text editors, another thing Google bought) and some are down right pointless (so, you have a web browser, which is viewed in, of all things, a web browser which, no matter which you use, has more features).
Also, from what I can gather, your desktop has no real security and it's done in JavaScript, which wouldn't be the best language ever to write any kind of OS style system in.

If ever I have the urge to use a dumb terminal, I'll turn this machine into a server and put my older system back together to use as one.

Derek Djons
July 3rd, 2006, 07:40 PM
Can you actually call it an Operating System? It's more software on a server writting in html, php, javascript etc.

dabear
July 3rd, 2006, 07:44 PM
Slow as hell. And wouldn't the browser displaying this "OS" have to be run on an underlaying OS? What's the point of this then?

If anything, I think applications such as gmail, http://writely.com etc would have more success

nuvo
July 3rd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Yeah, there's a place in the world for online applications like Writely, but no point in having a pretend OS running a browser in a browser like Firefox that's running on a mature and stable OS like Linux.

One thing... I wonder if it can crash... :D

Compucore
July 3rd, 2006, 11:55 PM
reminds me too much of citrix thin clients and using your web browser as the interface ubstead of having your favorite linux desktop, windows, or Mac OSX desktop.

Compucore

LeChuck
July 5th, 2006, 12:23 AM
I love the idea of exokernels. They will be much faster, than these monolith- and microkernels nowadays.