PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbolt-Useful or Not

codingman
November 13th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Thunderbolt ports are cropping up everywhere on new motherboards, I personally don't think it's so useful, even if it does become a big hit, I'd just go down to the computer store and buy myself a PCI-E thunderbolt card. Put whether you would buy it and whether you think it's useful.

bmeakings
November 13th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I'm not sold on Thunderbolt either. Do we really need yet another (http://xkcd.com/927/) cable?

As I understand, it's basically an external PCIe slot. I suppose a potential use for it could be to finally be able to upgrade laptop graphics by having an external GPU module that connects via TB and you plug your monitor into. Other than that, I can't see many uses for it that USB and other established connectors haven't already taken care of.

KiwiNZ
November 13th, 2012, 09:09 AM
yes. Fast and versatile

mips
November 13th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Yes. It's snot fast and I would like to see it implemented a lot more.

szymon_g
November 13th, 2012, 01:40 PM
yes. especially on laptops, where i could use an external GPU.

the8thstar
November 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
I'd wait a couple more years. Right now, the hardware is very expensive and the offer is scarce. So it's not economically sound for the common man to rush in on it.

pompel9
November 13th, 2012, 02:49 PM
The poll and the and OP talks about two different things.

Besides that, I can't vote. Since you have left out the option for those that are not sure.
The information on this technology is scarce, so it is difficult to get a complete picture if this technology is useful or not.

MisterGaribaldi
November 13th, 2012, 04:05 PM
I have a MBP with a Thunderbolt port. The only reason I use it is because it doubles as a DisplayPort. Other than that, I'd never use it. All my external peripherals are USB 2, except for two older HDDs which are FireWire.

Jakin
November 13th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Thunderbolt? But i just went all USB 3.0...... I have hdmi, why do i need display port.

CharlesA
November 13th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Besides that, I can't vote. Since you have left out the option for those that are not sure.
The information on this technology is scarce, so it is difficult to get a complete picture if this technology is useful or not.

Added a "not sure" option.

Thunderbolt? But i just went all USB 3.0...... I have hdmi, why do i need display port.

Yep. I don't really need another cable/connection when I already have USB3.

KiwiNZ
November 13th, 2012, 07:34 PM
I have a Promise Pegasus R6 raid unit with 2 Thunderbolt ports, it is very fast and I can daisy chain off it.

Eddie Wilson
November 13th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Later when it's less expensive. Now it's not needed in my opinion.