PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft forces fragmentation - DirectX 11.1 exclusive to W8

Mikeb85
November 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Now this really surprises me. Apparently the newest DirectX will be W8 only. With Valve and other game developers ripping on W8, I really didn't think MS would do something like this, not for this release anyway. DirectX 11 of course supports W7 and Vista.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/12/3634852/microsoft-directx-11-1-windows-8

In other news, apparently Surface sales are 'modest' according to MS, which likely means 'bad'...

Microsoft are really taking the wrong route here. They are looking at Apple, thinking that's the business model to follow, without realizing that the only reason they still maintain desktop dominance is because their model isn't like Apple's...

Anyhow, while I'm not sure if this will increase Linux adoption, more fragmentation definitely increases multi-platform support, so things like Web Apps, JVM, will see higher adoption and importance... (which will still make our lives easier)

Also, I was pretty bullish on W8, I think it's a good system. But I think MS is making very bad business decisions.

JDShu
November 12th, 2012, 07:16 PM
I heard that Microsoft has years of technical debt due to their emphasis on backward compatibility. While it offered large advantages to windows application developers, it was probably unsustainable in the long run.

CharlesA
November 12th, 2012, 07:18 PM
I doubt they will have games exclusively using DX 11.1 - we still have games that can run on DX11 and DX9, for backward compatibility with WinXP...

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
November 12th, 2012, 07:21 PM
if enough gamers decide they don't like windows 8, the devs will not make directx 11.1 games so windows 7 users will buy there games, obviously windows 8 users can play directx 11 games, besides what can 11.1 do that 11 can't

Merk42
November 12th, 2012, 08:50 PM
This is nothing new.
DirectX 10 was Vista exclusive
DirectX 8.1 was Windows XP exclusive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx#Releases

exploder
November 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Merk42 has summed things up well. Microsoft has used this same tactic in the past to try and convince users to upgrade to their latest release. I have always called it planned obsolescence.

bmeakings
November 13th, 2012, 02:02 AM
There are also other programs like IE and WMP that were limited to certain versions of Windows, as well as games like Age of Empires III and Halo 2 (both produced by MS, funny enough). I wonder if the (rumoured) PC version of Halo 4 will be Windows 8 exclusive. Who cares.

I won't accept the excuse that it's just business, it'll always be a sleazy underhanded tactic in my book. Sure, it's their OS, they're not a charity, free market, blah blah. But right now it's just making me feel smugly superior for using their products as little as possible. If that's their goal then congratulations are in order. Thanks Microsoft! :P

In the past I would have been annoyed, but this time I barely raised an eyebrow, not because I no longer use Windows as my main OS - I still boot into my Win7 partition to play games - but because many, if not most games today still use DirectX 9 and support XP, usually without sacrificing visual fidelity. Given Windows 8's lukewarm reception I doubt developers will be tripping over themselves embracing it and ditching what many consider the best Windows release.

BrokenKingpin
November 14th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Meh... I am surprised they have been backwards compatible for this long. At some point it makes sense to start fresh and not have to worry about that. Sure, it may just be because they want people to migrate to the new OS, which is understandable from a business prospective. They have a new direction for the Windows platform and they want people to move to it... if you don't like it, don't use it (buy an PS3 or something lol).

BigCityCat
November 15th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Meh... I am surprised they have been backwards compatible for this long. At some point it makes sense to start fresh and not have to worry about that. Sure, it may just be because they want people to migrate to the new OS, which is understandable from a business prospective. They have a new direction for the Windows platform and they want people to move to it... if you don't like it, don't use it (buy an PS3 or something lol).

This is how I feel about it. I'm not disturbed by this news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpL2sWLwEtU

KiwiNZ
November 15th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Some DirectX 11.1 features will be made available to Windows 7

mr john
November 15th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Fragmentation eh? I better ditch Windows and install Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Mandriva, Puppy, PCLinixOS, Edubuntu or Arch on my system. The question is, which desktop manager should I choose and which Kernel to I need to run my software?

weasel fierce
November 15th, 2012, 06:30 AM
Fragmentation eh? I better ditch Windows and install Mint, Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian, Fedora, Red Hat, Mandriva, Puppy, PCLinixOS, Edubuntu or Arch on my system. The question is, which desktop manager should I choose and which Kernel to I need to run my software?

This is true, but most applications will run just fine across them. Direct X is kind of a bigger deal than whether you run KDE or Gnome.

mr john
November 15th, 2012, 06:39 AM
This is true, but most applications will run just fine across them. Direct X is kind of a bigger deal than whether you run KDE or Gnome. Ever tried running Firefox 16 out of the box on Ubuntu 10.4?

CharlesA
November 15th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Ever tried running Firefox 16 out of the box on Ubuntu 10.4?
Runs fine for me. Firefox 16.0.2, in fact.

The only thing you need to do after a clean install of 10.04 is check for updates and that version will be installed.

fontis
November 15th, 2012, 08:39 AM
OpenGL ftw.

Paqman
November 15th, 2012, 10:39 AM
This is nothing new.
DirectX 10 was Vista exclusive
DirectX 8.1 was Windows XP exclusive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx#Releases

/thread.

mastablasta
November 15th, 2012, 02:50 PM
so openGL is fully compatible with ubuntu 6.06?

the way i see it, is that linux is no different. i doubt all new games work with all Ubuntu version so far. usually oyu need to have this or that X installed and such things.

microsoft was preety backward compatible as well as the programmes running on it. if you try to run old linux porgramme you will get into problems. especially since the libraries will be misisng or will be hard to get.

screaminj3sus
November 15th, 2012, 06:28 PM
I heard that Microsoft has years of technical debt due to their emphasis on backward compatibility. While it offered large advantages to windows application developers, it was probably unsustainable in the long run.

windows 7 and windows 8 are very similar under the hood, there is no technical reason for them to make dx 11.1 win8 only, its totally abritrary.

I completely understood it when they made dx10 vista-only, because both vista and dx10 were total redesign, and dx10 was designed around vista's new driver model, so porting dx10 to xp wouldn't be feasible, but making 11.1 win8 only is ms just forcing it arbitrarily.

Mikeb85
November 15th, 2012, 07:21 PM

Well, on any of those distros you can run any Linux-based software, you just may need to pull a ton of dependencies.

It's different than forced obsolescence, like you find in the Apple and now Windows world.

georgelappies
November 15th, 2012, 07:52 PM
No game developers will decide in the next few months to release DirectX 11.1 games only.

As all new PC's being sold from now on will have windows 8 preloaded on them by the time some new FPS engine requires features only found on DirectX 11.1 hardware most gamers already have it installed.

OGpmpdog
November 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Ever tried running Firefox 16 out of the box on Ubuntu 10.4?

Yeah, I'm running FF 16.2 & Opera 12.10 in Lucid - and FF 17 in Raring.

Actually, Chromium runs a bit smoother than FF, but both run beautifully.

How old is your PC??