PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unity opening files from Dash

forbajato
November 12th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Unity is finally growing on me but there are still a few weirdnesses I can't get used to.

I love the way that, when I type a file name in the Dash, I get a search for that file (one of my favorite GnomeDo behaviors). I don't love the fact that I can only seem to open that file in the File Browser rather than open the file directly into say, Libre Office. Is this behavior fixable?

thomas

grahammechanical
November 12th, 2012, 04:47 PM
It works fine for me. I click on a text document and it opens in the Gedit text editor. I click on a Libreoffice document and it will open in Libreoffice.

Perhaps at some point you have associated those files with the File Manager. Select a file with the file manager and right click to see what it is listed to open with.

If you want text documents to open with a text editor then you must set this by choosing Open with ... Likewise with Libreoffice documents. This is usually set up correctly but I do know that it is possible to set things up so the certain files become associated with certain applications and this can happen by accident. Fore example, PDF documents opening with a web browser and not a PDF reader.

I am using standard Ubuntu but I think that the basic method is correct for Xubuntu.

Regards.

forbajato
November 12th, 2012, 11:17 PM
That was the first thing I thought of and checked the associations in Nautilus. Silly me, I assumed Dash was looking at the same configuration as Nautilus to get file/application associations. I even tried deleting all other possible application associations in Nautilus, re-associating files using the "Set as Default" button, etc. but all no go.

thomas