PDA

View Full Version : Killing Floor is successfully ported to Linux

GrubThemeArtist
November 12th, 2012, 06:12 AM
So yeah, I recommend this game. It has an awesome play style and there's so many levels from the community for this game it's incredible. My favorite being The Hive which is a simulation of the Hive from the first Resident Evil. You start at the mansion and work your way down to the Red Queen and then you pretty much reenact the movie.

If you own it, and want to play the Linux native port just snag the Steam for Linux Beta deb, and even if you're not in the Beta you can now download the game through the steam client (used to be that you wouldn't get the the executable bin until today after an update to steam).

You'll have to run steam from the command line with

steam steam://open/games

so you don't have to deal with the pesky warning about you not being a beta tester.

sffvba[e0rt
November 12th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Installed it this morning after I purchased it (funny thing is it downloaded an additional 2.5gb of a mod for the game which it only realized 50% through wasn't compatible with Linux). Sadly my quick test in running it this morning was unsuccessful. Will be trying again tonight.

GrubThemeArtist
November 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM
That's unfortunate. I ran it on an Intel card which doesn't give the best performance, but it ran it at least. I wish you the best of luck with getting it to run (I wouldn't be much help with debugging).

Also, last night I found out that you could change the renderer to Direct3D in the options menu. That doesn't sound like a good idea to me. :P

sffvba[e0rt
November 12th, 2012, 06:05 PM
Got it working now... verified the downloaded files and there was about 200mb of anomalies, re-downloaded and it works... only issue now is this game is hard :p

GrubThemeArtist
November 12th, 2012, 08:13 PM
Yeah, it's definitely challenging. I usually play on easy and try to snag the AA12 as early as possible.

Ji Ruo
November 12th, 2012, 11:36 PM
I really enjoy Killing Floor. It's one of those games that's great to play with a group of friends. It is also a game that has seasonal specials (Halloween, Christmas) when there are new maps and skins brought out etc. Playing it on Linux will be a good excuse to get into it again :) I will probably wait for Valve to make the beta official though, or at least until I'm certain they don't care that people are using it unauthorised.