PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Desktop Icons

Riffronan
November 11th, 2012, 03:25 PM
How do I get the icons 'Computer, Home and Trash' off the desktop? I thought there were settings in Ubuntu Tweak for that but I'm not seeing it. I'm running Mate with compiz on 12.04 Ubuntu. Thanks!

howefield
November 11th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Not sure about Ubuntutweak, but MyUnity has that ability, should be installable from the Software Centre.

Frogs Hair
November 11th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Install the Gnome Tweak Tool and make selections under desktop.

mcduck
November 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM
...or if you want a solution that doesn't require installing any extra applications, just open a terminal and run the following commands:

gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop computer-icon-visible false
gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop home-icon-visible false
gsettings set org.gnome.nautilus.desktop trash-icon-visible false

Riffronan
November 12th, 2012, 07:41 AM
I appreciate all the replies and I tried mcduck's but it didn't work. I've installed mate-conf-editor and can't find the right keys...

Riffronan
November 12th, 2012, 07:51 AM
did some digging..open mateconf-editor in terminal, then uncheck apps/caja/preferences/show_desktop

http://www.securitronlinux.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/mate.jpeg

mcduck
November 12th, 2012, 09:30 AM
I appreciate all the replies and I tried mcduck's but it didn't work. I've installed mate-conf-editor and can't find the right keys...

Oh, good point, Mate doesn't use Nautilus any more as the file manager. Which is also why Ubuntu Tweak, MyUnity or Gnome Tweak Tool (or any other tool made for configuring Gnome & Unity) won't work either.