PDA

View Full Version : What Ubuntu does with your crash data!

castrojo
November 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Just thought this would be really interesting to people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPQ7k0jRUE4#t=30m10s

Jakin
November 10th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Tells me that the video is currently unavailable.

I'd be interested to know.

deadflowr
November 10th, 2012, 07:35 PM
Interesting indeed.

I like that they're expanding it to include gpu lockups, and other areas beyond crashes.

szymon_g
November 11th, 2012, 01:23 AM
oh, thanks a lot for that interesting video!
now i'm going to watch it from the start.

Jakin
November 11th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Guess i am the only one who cannot view, as i continually get the "this video is currently unavailable"
Thanks anyway :KS

sammiev
November 11th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Working good here. Bookmarked it to watch the rest later.

vasa1
November 11th, 2012, 03:32 AM
Just thought this would be really interesting to people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPQ7k0jRUE4#t=30m10s

@Jakin, does removing the "#t=30m10s" help? It shouldn't make a difference but it did for me (on a slow network).

vasa1
November 11th, 2012, 05:08 AM
Looks like they'll be "phasing" (throttling?) updates to minimize chances of a regression slipping through ~ @ 38:30.
Will the phasing be to random systems or do people volunteer for getting updates earlier than others?

deadflowr
November 11th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Looks like they'll be "phasing" (throttling?) updates so minimize chances of a regression slipping through ~ @ 38:30.
Will the phasing be to random systems or do people volunteer for getting updates earlier than others?

If you watched last UDS with the guy from google, this is very similar. Incremental deployments, starting with a small base, and expanding slowly.
I would like to think they have a core base of users they'd like to have updates deployed to first.

Jakin
November 11th, 2012, 06:03 AM
@Jakin, does removing the "#t=30m10s" help? It shouldn't make a difference but it did for me (on a slow network).

Nah, nothing changes. Thanks anyway :)

Its only that video out of all videos on the UbuntuDevelopers channel, quite strange.

Maybe i'll try a service like keepvid. :)

castrojo
November 12th, 2012, 03:57 AM
Try the blip version: http://blip.tv/ubuntu-developers/ubuntu-uds-r-wed-plenary-lubuntu-kubuntu-ubuntu-studio-xubuntu-edubuntu-error-tracker-6432757

Fast forward to 30 minutes in.

vasa1
November 12th, 2012, 04:14 AM
Assuming these UDS videos are "free", why can't there be links to download them via wget or whatever for "offline" viewing?

castrojo
November 12th, 2012, 04:55 AM
When I first set it up blip.tv used to offer wgetabble URLs for all their videos, which even included Ogg videos, which is one of the reasons I chose it in the first place.

Since then they've changed their UI and become not as useful as it used to be, but it is very useful for content providers, they offer an FTP site that the AV company Canonical uses can just raw FTP to and have it publish to blip and youtube automatically.

So if you want to watch these offline I guess the best thing to do is apply whatever solution people use to watch youtube or blip videos. We used to have videos also uploaded to videos.ubuntu.com but the traffic there wasn't enough to justify the time spent. If you really want to have the source videos I suppose you could file an RT ticket with the IS team, but considering their workload (which includes updating the forums themselves) it might not be worth the time spent.

Jakin
November 12th, 2012, 04:58 AM
Error tracker tool, in my opinion, is vital to bringing Ubuntu to the serious masses. The average person doesn't know or care to file a bug report, and we know there are many bugs.
Making it all automated, will really help to make the system super stable; Because most don't care what the OS brand, just that it works- and if it comes preinstalled on a retail computer- it better have that kinda support should it flourish.

vasa1
November 12th, 2012, 06:08 AM
So if you want to watch these offline I guess the best thing to do is apply whatever solution people use to watch youtube or blip videos. ...
Thank you for the explanation. And, when possible, do keep letting us know about videos of interest that we otherwise might miss :)

deadflowr
November 12th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Thank you for the explanation. And, when possible, do keep letting us know about videos of interest that we otherwise might miss :)

You can subscribe, if possible, to the ubuntudevelopers on Youtube.
That way when new videos are posted, you'll get a notice and you can watch 'em.

vasa1
November 12th, 2012, 11:08 AM
You can subscribe, if possible, to the ubuntudevelopers on Youtube.
That way when new videos are posted, you'll get a notice and you can watch 'em.
I am subscribed but I mostly don't watch them unless I know there's something of specific interest (when they're long ones).

Statia
November 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM
What Ubuntu does with my crash data? Well, nothing, since apport-kde does not work and they haven't bothered fixing it in at least five months.