PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installed kde-standard - now my login screen changed - how do I get the old one?

orange2k
November 10th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Like the title says, when I installed kde-standard it asked me whether I want gdm or kdm, so I chose kdm and then my login screen changed. How do I get my stock login screen back?

Unfortunately I cannot grab a screenshot of my current login screen, but it looks like some kind of mix between gnome-shell and stock ubuntu look...(yes I've installed gnome-shell, too)

2F4U
November 10th, 2012, 03:43 PM
KDM is the login screen for KDE and you said you wanted it. What is/was your "stock login screen"? The default for Ubuntu would be LightDM, but you don't seem to have a default installation.

orange2k
November 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-WE3KdvhtQCY/T5ZmI4TyDpI/AAAAAAAAIqc/BuD1Ehsk9XE/s320/ubuntu12.04-login-screen.png

this was my "stock" login screen, but I can't find a way to get it to be like that...

PaulW2U
November 10th, 2012, 04:23 PM
In a terminal:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

then tab to lightdm and press enter.

orange2k
November 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
In a terminal:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

then tab to lightdm and press enter.

I did that, but I'm still getting something like this:

http://i.stack.imgur.com/dHV2J.jpg

There was a solution for this problem in Oneiric - there was the Simple LightDM Manager available, but not so in Precise...

I'm not sure what I did wrong - whatever choice I make in following the step you advised I get the same login screen - I know its not a major issue, but I really like the default login screen...

PaulW2U
November 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I'm not sure what I did wrong - whatever choice I make in following the step you advised I get the same login screen - I know its not a major issue, but I really like the default login screen...

Did you reboot or just log-out?

If you rebooted then I don't know what the problem is. If you just logged out then while logged out, switch to a tty and enter:

sudo stop gdm
sudo start lightdm

deadflowr
November 10th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Have you uninstalled anything?
Chances are you'll have to reinstall lightdm, then follow the reconfigure option again.
Look in your package manager and see if lightdm is installed or not.

orange2k
November 10th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Now I'm getting the KDE login screen...

Anyways I'm giving up on this, and besides the KDE login screen is nice, too, so I'm sticking with it...

I'll mark this as solved...