PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 12.04 and crippling graphical glitches

CinoxFellpyre
November 10th, 2012, 12:32 AM
After the upgrade, my windows have been having massive glitches to the point where I can't read anything, as shown in the attached image.

I'm not sure if it's the graphics card is the problem or not, but I can't upgrade it since it's a laptop.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)That is what I have for a graphics controller.

The problem is fixed when I do a log off or restart.

mexicanseaf00d
November 12th, 2012, 11:42 AM
You could try some of these:

disable some desktop effects, shortcut is by default ALT+SHIFT+F12
change the compositing-type OpenGL/Xrender or some of their options (in Desktop Effects > Advanced)
try a newer driver for your intel card from this ppa -

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Also, they just recently released KDE 4.9.3 with some fixes for intel cards. To upgrade, you have to add this ppa:

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgradeDon't worry about the "backports" part, upgrades seem work really good in KDE and fix quite a lot of bugs with every release.

CinoxFellpyre
November 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM
Brilliant, thank you.

I'm getting that done, and I'm gonna wait a week, if it still doesn't act up I'll consider it solved. :3

CinoxFellpyre
November 21st, 2012, 08:40 AM
Well, it's been a week, and now my start menu is all messed up, as well as the quick launch you get through alt+F2 following the cursor.

The icons are also disappearing randomly, leaving text only.

mexicanseaf00d
November 23rd, 2012, 03:42 AM
Did you customize the icon theme? Did it work until now? You could post a question on AskUbuntu as well - http://askubuntu.com/

CinoxFellpyre
November 23rd, 2012, 04:23 AM
Haven't touched the icon theme.

It was ok until now as well.

mexicanseaf00d
November 23rd, 2012, 04:31 AM
One more step for troubleshooting could be: move/copy your .kde folder and see if the culprit is somewher in there

CinoxFellpyre
November 24th, 2012, 01:57 AM
Honestly I wouldn't know what I'm looking for.

Plus can't really figure out how to do that.

SeijiSensei
November 24th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Open a terminal, then at the dollar sign prompt type this:

$ mv .kde .kde.old

Now log out and log back in. KDE will build a default desktop for you in a new .kde folder without any customizations.

CinoxFellpyre
November 26th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Good news, it worked.

Bad news, can't redownload my, or any themes.

mexicanseaf00d
November 26th, 2012, 05:22 PM
bizarre
note that some themes must be downloaded manually and put into the config folders

CinoxFellpyre
November 29th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Well I guess it was the server being stupid, but I got it fixed.

Setting it to solved now.