PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Panel Query

anirbanghosh
November 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM
Is it possible in Xubuntu 12.10 to move the panel where the current tasks appear to the bottom like in Gnome Classic mode. I just want to create a new panel at the bottom where minimized windows would appear and nothing more I want. :) I already have learnt that dock can be deleted if I need.

Thanks in advance.

cwsnyder
November 9th, 2012, 10:29 PM
If you get Linux Mint Xfce, the panel is at the bottom.

mikodo
November 10th, 2012, 12:32 AM
I would like to know how to do this too! After so many years of Gnome2, it would make Xubuntu seem more familiar.

LewisTM
November 10th, 2012, 01:19 AM
Go to Panel Preferences -> Unlock the panel and drag it wherever you want.

Have fun with Xubuntu!

anirbanghosh
November 10th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Yes it is indeed easy.

JKyleOKC
November 10th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Is it possible in Xubuntu 12.10 to move the panel where the current tasks appear to the bottom like in Gnome Classic mode. I just want to create a new panel at the bottom where minimized windows would appear and nothing more I want.I believe you already have a panel at the bottom, which is "autohidden" meaning that it appears only when you move the mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen. In the default installation, this panel contains an array of launcher icons for what the maintainers felt are the most popular or useful apps.

If you right-click on any of these icons (or any others on either panel), you'll get a pop-up menu that lets you move the icon, or delete the applet that it represents. This menu also includes an item to select the panel's property pages, and if you select that one there's a tab that lists all the items on that panel. From that list, you can remove any or all of the items, or add new ones of your choice. On the "general" property page for the panel, you can unhide it so that it's always visible, and can also change its appearance in several ways.

One applet, called "Window Buttons," is already on the default top panel; you can simply move it to the bottom panel if you like. Similarly, you can move things from the bottom one up to the top. It's quite easy to customize your panels; I've added the CPU Graph and Net Monitor to my own top panel, plus the Weather applet and the Places icon.

I hope this helps!

anirbanghosh
November 10th, 2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks a lot. :)

mikodo
November 10th, 2012, 02:26 AM
Well duh!

Thanks, I have docky on top, with the lower panel showing opened windows, like in gnome2.

:)

anirbanghosh
November 10th, 2012, 08:41 AM
For me I think I need to update the Thunar File Manager to 1.5.1 because each mounted drive is being shown twice in the left panel in File Manager which is very annoying. :mad:

JKyleOKC
November 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
It's a known bug; several workarounds have been posted in other threads.

Here's the bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunar/+bug/1039375

Add yourself to it by clicking on the link near the top of the page.

anirbanghosh
November 10th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Says Patch has been released but how to update it in my computer?

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/thunar/1.4.0-1ubuntu2.1

JKyleOKC
November 10th, 2012, 03:58 PM
On the launchpad page you linked, there's a "Builds" heading above a series of links for the different architectures. Click the one that applies to you, and from the page that results, find the link to download the *.deb file. When the file finishes downloading, open it with the "gdebi" package manager and install it.

anirbanghosh
November 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM
On the launchpad page you linked, there's a "Builds" heading above a series of links for the different architectures. Click the one that applies to you, and from the page that results, find the link to download the *.deb file. When the file finishes downloading, open it with the "gdebi" package manager and install it.

Great thanks. Nice help for me. :popcorn: