PDA

View Full Version : FREE python programmer

ki4jgt
November 9th, 2012, 07:50 PM
In an effort to "fill" my resume, I am writing FREE computer programs. (: in python. All programs are CLI ONLY (NO GUIs) and are released under the GNU GPL. If you or your business would like a FREE computer program written for any reason (whether to remind you of dates and appointments, or for resource management) post here. In return, I will expect a reference from you to my future employers.

JDShu
November 9th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Chances are nobody needs your amateur program. Writing an application for now should be about improving your own coding skills. Write something significant - you don't need anybody's blessing, learn to read and use various API, and make the common mistakes. You'll find out your limitations. Then get involved with other projects. Openhatch (http://openhatch.org/) is a good resource as they are an organization that aims to welcome people into open source software projects in a friendly manner.

As for 'filling' your resume, write an application that you yourself are interested in, and put it on Github (or Bitbucket or Gitorious). That way your future employer will be able to see your work and you'll be able to put it on your resume.

ki4jgt
November 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Chances are nobody needs your amateur program. Writing an application for now should be about improving your own coding skills. Write something significant - you don't need anybody's blessing, learn to read and use various API, and make the common mistakes. You'll find out your limitations. Then get involved with other projects. Openhatch (http://openhatch.org/) is a good resource as they are an organization that aims to welcome people into open source software projects in a friendly manner.

As for 'filling' your resume, write an application that you yourself are interested in, and put it on Github (or Bitbucket or Gitorious). That way your future employer will be able to see your work and you'll be able to put it on your resume.

Thanks for the advice, but I wouldn't call myself an amateur. I've been programming on and off for 11 years. Dibbled in C++, BASIC, PHP, and Python. Python just happens to be my favorite and the one I can "feel". My first BASIC program was over 1000 lines long. I just don't want to program anymore. I don't have any incentives to do it, so I figured this would help out in that department.

JDShu
November 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I wouldn't call myself an amateur. I've been programming on and off for 11 years. Dibbled in C++, BASIC, PHP, and Python. Python just happens to be my favorite and the one I can "feel". My first BASIC program was over 1000 lines long. I just don't want to program anymore. I don't have any incentives to do it, so I figured this would help out in that department.

If you don't like programming, then don't do it. Life is too short to do something you don't want to do.

Also 11+ years means nothing when it comes to a skill. Heck programming in BASIC probably makes you worse. The key is deliberate practice.

ki4jgt
November 9th, 2012, 09:30 PM
If you don't like programming, then don't do it. Life is too short to do something you don't want to do.

Also 11+ years means nothing when it comes to a skill. Heck programming in BASIC probably makes you worse. The key is deliberate practice.

That's the thing. I like it (the puzzle of it). I just don't see a point to very many things anymore. In my current mindset, I'm seeing life as "we live, we eat, we die. Everything else doesn't matter." It's a way for me to get around to doing something with my life again. Right now, I don't like it because it involves doing something. However, if doing something involved an incentive (like padding my resume) it would be slightly more barable. Also, I don't like working with OSS most of the time because I HAT using GIT. It feels senseless (no offense intended) to me to distribute code in such a manner. I know it has it's advantages but I HATE it.

kostkon
November 9th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Also, I don't like working with OSS most of the time because I HAT using GIT. It feels senseless (no offense intended) to me to distribute code in such a manner. I know it has it's advantages but I HATE it.
Try LP and bazaar then.

dannyboy79
November 9th, 2012, 09:49 PM
i'd like an app written for auto extracting rar sets, checking that the resulting filename matches it's folder name its extracted in and then moved a directory up. here's an example

folder named /media/500gb1/torrents/Movie

within the Movie folder there is a rar set which sometimes are named tgsv.rar001 or tgsv.rar01 or tgsv.rar00 or tgsv.rar, the script should open that rar set, extract it's contents, verify that the resulting filename (which are either .mp4 or .avi or .mkv) matches it's folders name, if not, rename it, and then move it to the torrents folder which is one directory up.

after its done with that folder named Movie, it should move down to the next folder which is Movie1 for example and it should do the same for that folder.

WHat do you think?

So the ending result will be a ton of video files within the torrents folder that all match what their folders name was.

forrestcupp
November 9th, 2012, 11:13 PM
I doubt if you're going to find a job as a python programmer. Also, I doubt if a lot of people are going to want a lot of CLI apps. You're going to have to learn a GUI toolkit/framework, and probably another language or two.

|{urse
November 9th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Actually, my tech shop would love to have a small program to store windows COA's, I wrote one in VB6 forever ago and it sadly is incompatible and I'm too swamped to sit down and write it again, all it needs to do is prompt the user to enter a product key and version and check the product key against all the keys already saved.

I'll give you a reference whether you write it or not though. Msg me when you need it and I'll drop the details.

In regards to what you're being told by everyone above, it's truly difficult to get a job coding cli python. My advice is to go school yourself on Zenity and you'll be rockin small gui apps with Python in no time.

lykwydchykyn
November 9th, 2012, 11:46 PM
out of curiosity, why not GUI apps?

slickymaster
November 10th, 2012, 12:13 AM
out of curiosity, why not GUI apps?

+1. Why not, indeed??

ki4jgt
November 10th, 2012, 02:12 AM
+1. Why not, indeed??

I don't know whether it's the fact that I hate GUIs or I don't understand them completely. I'm actually able to code them but problems arise when the complexities of them reach my just don't care threshold. For some reason it doesn't bother me as much to learn new things about CLI coding. Stick a GUI in front of me and I go nuts :( probably has to do with the fact that I used to be a little on the meticulous side, and making GUIs with already written libraries didn't allow me to see how exactly those libraries were built. Anywho, I'm no longer that focused on detail but I still have the same hates from before :(.

ki4jgt
November 10th, 2012, 02:17 AM
I doubt if you're going to find a job as a python programmer. Also, I doubt if a lot of people are going to want a lot of CLI apps. You're going to have to learn a GUI toolkit/framework, and probably another language or two.

I know. :( I just LOVE Python LOL. I know BASIC though and a little C++.

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2012, 02:56 AM
I don't know whether it's the fact that I hate GUIs or I don't understand them completely. I'm actually able to code them but problems arise when the complexities of them reach my just don't care threshold. For some reason it doesn't bother me as much to learn new things about CLI coding. Stick a GUI in front of me and I go nuts :( probably has to do with the fact that I used to be a little on the meticulous side, and making GUIs with already written libraries didn't allow me to see how exactly those libraries were built. Anywho, I'm no longer that focused on detail but I still have the same hates from before :(.In that case, I would very seriously consider a different career path.

I know. :( I just LOVE Python LOL. I know BASIC though and a little C++.You would probably do better finding a job learning Java or .Net languages. If you really want to stick with what you already know, then you would do much better focusing on C++. But judging by what you said in the other post I quoted, maybe you just need to stick with hobbyist programming, and find a totally different career path.

ki4jgt
November 10th, 2012, 03:28 AM
In that case, I would very seriously consider a different career path.

You would probably do better finding a job learning Java or .Net languages. If you really want to stick with what you already know, then you would do much better focusing on C++. But judging by what you said in the other post I quoted, maybe you just need to stick with hobbyist programming, and find a totally different career path.

LOL that's pretty true. I'm working on tkinter though :). I'm needing a challenge to stimulate the desire for further programming growth. Once I get a little better, I'm actually working on an idea I pitched a while back to you guys. I'm hoping to make a career out of it.

mevun
November 10th, 2012, 04:45 AM
I just want to say that there's no compelling reason to learn GUI programming with python (which has to use a third party library like tkinter anyway).

At my previous job, where I did mostly write python for 4 years, I only saw one program written in python that had a GUI. The rest of the time a GUI was provided via a LAMP stack (where the P could be python or perl). This was before Django was very popular so we generated our own html pages via python and some templating.

From my experience working for tech companies, CLI programs are preferred because they can be packaged together in scripts (which can be written in different languages) and then run regularly without human intervention.

I know that VMWare uses python for their testing framework. Dreamworks Animation used to also use python. I assume that Google uses python internally since the language designer/inventor works for them. My previous company was an ISP which used python and perl. Still, I do agree that there are relatively fewer Python jobs than those using .NET or Java.

dannyboy79
November 10th, 2012, 12:23 PM
i'd like an app written for auto extracting rar sets, checking that the resulting filename matches it's folder name its extracted in and then moved a directory up. here's an example

within the Movie folder there is a rar set which sometimes are named tgsv.rar001 or tgsv.rar01 or tgsv.rar00 or tgsv.rar, the script should open that rar set, extract it's contents, verify that the resulting filename (which are either .mp4 or .avi or .mkv) matches it's folders name, if not, rename it, and then move it to the torrents folder which is one directory up.

after its done with that folder named Movie, it should move down to the next folder which is Movie1 for example and it should do the same for that folder.

WHat do you think?

So the ending result will be a ton of video files within the torrents folder that all match what their folders name was.

graabein
November 10th, 2012, 01:04 PM
I think there are jobs programming Python, and CLI is a powerful tool if done right. It won't hurt adding a Qt GUI though, where applicable.

Have you considered joining an open source project programmed in Python? I bet there's a lot of stuff you can have a look at on Launchpad.

ki4jgt
November 10th, 2012, 02:02 PM

WHat do you think?

Don't know what to think. Working on the WCOA database currently. I've gotten it all written just having trouble reading the database into the program after it's been written to a file.

forrestcupp
November 10th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I just want to say that there's no compelling reason to learn GUI programming with python (which has to use a third party library like tkinter anyway).I don't agree with this statement at all. Unless you are programming winAPI or official .Net, almost every language you would use needs a 3rd party library for GUI. Even Java uses Swing, which technically is 1st party, but it's still a separate library. Any native Linux GUI programming is going to use 3rd party libraries, mainly Qt or Gtk+, with any programming language you would choose. So if you're already going to use a GUI toolkit or framework, why not use the language of your choice?

Python is not my personal number one choice, but there are reasons to use it for GUI programming. Mainly, if Python is what you are proficient in, and there is a good wrapper for your choice of GUI libs.

mevun
November 10th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by mevun
"I just want to say that there's no compelling reason to learn GUI programming with python (which has to use a third party library like tkinter anyway)."

I don't agree with this statement at all. Unless you are programming winAPI or official .Net, almost every language you would use needs a 3rd party library for GUI. Even Java uses Swing, which technically is 1st party, but it's still a separate library. Any native Linux GUI programming is going to use 3rd party libraries, mainly Qt or Gtk+, with any programming language you would choose. So if you're already going to use a GUI toolkit or framework, why not use the language of your choice?

Python is not my personal number one choice, but there are reasons to use it for GUI programming. Mainly, if Python is what you are proficient in, and there is a good wrapper for your choice of GUI libs.

Although, I am not saying not to learn GUI programming, I think that it is better to learn a web-based GUI (HTML5/Javascript) instead because of the trend toward cloud-based apps.

However, what I did not express clearly enough with respect to my quoted statement is: Learn python language features, not how to provide a GUI, because a CLI interface (namely the 'getopts' module) would be quicker to develop and sufficient for many purposes*. I did not mean to suggest that GUI programming is non-compelling because of the requirement of a third party library.

* Of course, there are some applications which naturally use a 2-d interface like those with maps, diagrams, or statistical charts.

dannyboy79
November 10th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Don't know what to think. Working on the WCOA database currently. I've gotten it all written just having trouble reading the database into the program after it's been written to a file.
you asked if anyone wanted a script written, I asked for you to write me one and now you say "don't know what to think." Do you or do you now want to help others with scripts?

ki4jgt
November 10th, 2012, 06:34 PM
you asked if anyone wanted a script written, I asked for you to write me one and now you say "don't know what to think." Do you or do you now want to help others with scripts?

Yes I do LOL but you're not an employer. So you can't complain about something that's free. I am trying to work with the skills I have and expand upon them. I don't know what to think of your idea because I don't know how to go about it yet. So, logically the phrase "I don't know what I think about it" still applies.

|{urse
November 12th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Python scripted Zenity (ftw). K I won't mention it again.. lol.