PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Unetbootin installing 12.10 64bit

mastershakee
November 9th, 2012, 07:26 PM
Unetbootin will not show up in order for me to boot my 64bit ISO file of 12.10, i installed unetbootin to my hard drive because i dont have a big enough cd to hold the 12.10 files otherwise i would have taken that route. But i cannot find it when i boot! sometimes the menu shows up other times it does not. I just want to install my 64 bit version because i accidentally installed the 32 bit like an idiot. Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys!

577 Jersey
November 9th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Im having a similar problem,,
How come Unetbootin only shows older versions of the distros and not recent.Is there a way to update the dropdown munu so we can install say mint 13 on a stick without doing it manually?

Tommy ;)

critin
November 10th, 2012, 02:47 AM
Unetbootin will not show up in order for me to boot my 64bit ISO file of 12.10, i installed unetbootin to my hard drive because i dont have a big enough cd to hold the 12.10 files otherwise i would have taken that route. But i cannot find it when i boot! sometimes the menu shows up other times it does not. I just want to install my 64 bit version because i accidentally installed the 32 bit like an idiot. Any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance guys!

You downloaded unetbootin to your desktop and then choose Run? Then you chose a distro from the dropdown menu and downloaded the iso?

unetbootin is not 'installed' on the hard drive. It's an app. What 'menu' are you seeing?

If it downloaded the iso for you, it will also install it on the usb flash drive for you if the usb is already plugged in. (I assume that was done) It would have to be on the desktop in order for you to know when to boot. Is the flash active? Is it lit up? You don't need unetbootin after it's done its job of installing to the usb, you boot from the usb.

Do you have more info on how you installed the iso and when you knew when to boot?
By the way, 32bit will run on a 64bit machine. It just won't go the other way. 64bit to 32bit.

mastershakee
November 10th, 2012, 12:03 PM
You downloaded unetbootin to your desktop and then choose Run? Then you chose a distro from the dropdown menu and downloaded the iso?

unetbootin is not 'installed' on the hard drive. It's an app. What 'menu' are you seeing?

no i downloaded the 12.10 amd64 bit version and clicked the ISO option instead of the distro option above from that, loading the ISO i had locally.

cwsnyder
November 10th, 2012, 12:29 PM
@577 Jersey: You have the option to install any .iso file which you have downloaded. You don't have to wait for the version to show up on the drop down menu. The people at unetbootin are making the app available for free, and you want daily updates? Are you volunteering your time?

@mastershakee: Are you talking about the GRUB menu? Did you select the option in your BIOS to boot from a USB stick or hard drive? You should only need to boot once into the 12.10-64 bit desktop, then install from the Live desktop.

critin
November 10th, 2012, 10:27 PM
no i downloaded the 12.10 amd64 bit version and clicked the ISO option instead of the distro option above from that, loading the ISO i had locally.

Okay. Do you still need help?

Perhaps you've added too much extra info and it's convoluting a simple question for me.

What exactly do you need help with? Creating a bootable iso from unetbootin? Booting the USB? Either change bio setting to boot first from usb or hit the BOOT key showing on the bios pages--quickly.