PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ubuntu 11.04 crashed

333ameeth
November 9th, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hi,
I had Ubuntu 11.04 previously it was running good,
but yesterday there are few problems like the top right corners volume,date,log out,etc options are gone,
then when i clicked on "system testing" it wasn't responding(i mean no result),
and after some time when i tried to restart there wasn't any movement of mouse system was hanged,
then I restarted from CPU(by pressing the button) then there was nothing only black screen and cursor.

what is the problem with my ubuntu,
now what i have can do is there any solution.

thank you for your time.

Frogs Hair
November 9th, 2012, 04:30 PM
11.04 reached end of life last month so you may want to install a newer version of Ubuntu.You can try the following.

Unity Not Working

Login to Ubuntu use Ctrl + Alt + F1 to enter TTY. Next enter user name, password, and run the following command.

unity --reset

Wait until the process is complete and your user name appears again. Use Ctrl + Alt + F7 to renter the desktop environment.

If there is error reporting wait until finished. If Unity doesn't appear within a minute or two restart and login to Ubuntu.

Mr_JMM
November 9th, 2012, 04:46 PM
11.04 reached end of life last month so you may want to install a newer version of Ubuntu.

Sorry, just have to ask, apologies but what do you mean it's end of life? Isn't that an LTS release?

jerome1232
November 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
not it's not, 12.04 is an LTS release, 11.04 is an old regular release.

It would probably be best to shift to 12.04

Release Schedule
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases

Mr_JMM
November 9th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Ah, thanks for that, I always thought x.04 were always LTS releases.

On topic, if resetting unity doesn't work and you (OP) decide to upgrade, bearing in mind the issues you have I'd opt for a fresh install rather than upgrade.

I'll go back to my hole now. Sorry for jumping in to this thread. *jumps out*

333ameeth
November 22nd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Thank you,
upgraded to 12.04LTS.