PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Successful upgrade to 12.10!

tomdkat
November 9th, 2012, 03:53 PM
I started the upgrade from 12.04 (64-bit) to 12.10 last night and it completed this morning. I had to respond to some prompts to complete the upgrade process.

So far, everything is working just fine. Yet another smooth upgrade for me, thus far. :)

Right now, the only question I have is: was the "Software update" menu item that used to be in the system menu, in Unity in Ubuntu 12.04, removed in 12.10? If so, is it possible to get it back? I liked having the "Software update" menu in the system menu so I could easily check for updates or install pending updates.

Thanks!

Peace...

Frogs Hair
November 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Open the application from dash and when the icon appears in the launcher, right click and lock it to launcher. (Unity) The software updater is still in dash Under system if you use the filter.

tomdkat
November 9th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks! I'll give this a try and see how it works out. :)

Peace...

unibroker
November 9th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I started the upgrade from 12.04 (64-bit) to 12.10 last night and it completed this morning. I had to respond to some prompts to complete the upgrade process.

So far, everything is working just fine. Yet another smooth upgrade for me, thus far. :)

Right now, the only question I have is: was the "Software update" menu item that used to be in the system menu, in Unity in Ubuntu 12.04, removed in 12.10? If so, is it possible to get it back? I liked having the "Software update" menu in the system menu so I could easily check for updates or install pending updates.

Thanks!

Peace...

It's in Unity I believe by default. The icon looks a lot like Synaptic, so much so that I had to separate them

grahammechanical
November 9th, 2012, 08:02 PM
If you go to the power/cog menu and select About this computer it will load the Details page. There you will see a panel - bottom right that will tell you if the System is Up-To-Date. A few minutes after booting it will change to Checking for Updates and if there are any it will offer to Install Updates.

To put it another way the 12.04 software Updater is now are part of the Details page that is the front page of system Settings. Everything is done automatically, except the actual installing of the updates.

Regards

tomdkat
November 9th, 2012, 11:05 PM
If you go to the power/cog menu and select About this computer it will load the Details page. There you will see a panel - bottom right that will tell you if the System is Up-To-Date. A few minutes after booting it will change to Checking for Updates and if there are any it will offer to Install Updates.

To put it another way the 12.04 software Updater is now are part of the Details page that is the front page of system Settings. Everything is done automatically, except the actual installing of the updates.

RegardsThanks! This is very helpful and useful information!

Peace...

jadope
November 10th, 2012, 02:07 AM
Been running 12.10 since beta and totally hate not having my classic. What version do I have to go back to to get my classic??? My fav has been 11.04