PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] unable to install Ubuntu 12.04

gilloz
November 9th, 2012, 03:46 PM
I am having problems trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on an old computer with a Soyo SY-K7V Dragon Plus VIA KT266A mobo with an AMD Athlon CPU 32 Bit and 2GB PC-2100 DIMM RAM. I have tried using the regular CD and an Alternative CD. In the Alternative CD it fails when Select and Install Software has completed. The error window only says that Installation step failed. The failing step is: Select and Install Software. You have the option to retry the step or continue to the next item. With the regular CD, if fails after entering your geographical location, name, username and password. In any case, both CD's fail to install. BTW, with the alternative CD, I do get to the final Desktop and it appears to function, but when I try to load some software, it can't find it or if a run a program, it comes back with an Internal Error window. Would appreciate any comments or help.

2F4U
November 9th, 2012, 05:28 PM
- Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded iso file?
- Did you burn at the lowest possible speed?
- Did you select to apply updates during installation? If yes, don't check it. I had problems instaling when this option was active.

Slim Odds
November 9th, 2012, 07:25 PM
- Did you verify the checksum of the downloaded iso file?
- Did you burn at the lowest possible speed?
- Did you select to apply updates during installation? If yes, don't check it. I had problems instaling when this option was active.
Do NOT burn at "the lowest possible speed". This a myth that should have died a long, long time ago.

Many burners will actually produce hard worse results this way. If you worry about burns, enable verification. That's by far the best way to know that you got a good burn.

gilloz
November 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks Slim Odds and 2F4U for your responses. First of all, I burned the ISO files at the default speed of my burner. Did not make any changes there. I ran the test at the beginning prompt where they ask you to check the integrity of the disk. That was OK. I did not check to include the updates only because I know how long that would take. Even though the whole process completed, I can't install the Synaptic Package, the Update Manager always tells me there are no updates required, even after a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04. In going Online, I get several error windows telling me I have Internal Errors, but it doesn't give me any details. So you see, I am kinda stuck here.

Update: Ran Mem86+ memory test and it failed. Will have to replace some memory sticks and try again at a later date. I will close this Post for now.