PDA

View Full Version : Would KDE be more popular in these forums if it was the Ubuntu default?

Castar
July 3rd, 2006, 01:28 PM
I see a clear preference to the Gnome D.E. over KDE in these forums. I think this is due to the fact that Gnome was chosen (and with good arguments) to be the default D.E. to Ubuntu. Do you think it would have been the other way around if KDE was the default?

bluenova
July 3rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
If Ubuntu shipped with KDE, I would look for an alternative distro or install Gnome straight after installing Ubuntu.

bruce89
July 3rd, 2006, 01:38 PM
We already have KDE by default on Kubuntu.

Castar
July 3rd, 2006, 01:40 PM
Even so, Kubuntu is not as strong a brand like Ubuntu, don't you think? A typical user (not technically oriented) would just install Ubuntu and wouldn't know of Kubuntu.

bluenova
July 3rd, 2006, 01:45 PM
For a new user who knows nothing about Linux then of cause they would use whatever the main distro ships with, but for those who know Linux well will always install their DM of choice.

bruce89
July 3rd, 2006, 01:55 PM
A KDE user got a bit annoyed at Kubuntu, as they claimed they couldn't recommend it as it would promote GNOME too, as the name contained Ubuntu.

This is a stupid attitude, you should promote free software, not your own preferences.

BuffaloX
July 3rd, 2006, 02:27 PM
If Ubuntu had KDE as only option, I would use SUSE, It's actuallu also a good distro, and has Gnome as default selection.
If KDE was default in Ubuntu, I MIGHT just choose what I guess would be called G-Ubuntu.

you should promote free software, not your own preferences.

Why not promote ones own oppinion? That's a weird statement.
A bit like saying: In the interest of democracy, even if you are republican you should also promote democrats.

But I agree if you are against KDE because it's not true open source. But thats just my oppinion. Best thing about KDE is it accelerated Gnome.

BWF89
July 3rd, 2006, 02:33 PM
The default DE is always the most popular one because the distro is designed around what DE it uses.

aristotlewilde
July 3rd, 2006, 02:38 PM
Until I actually settled in and started using Linux daily, I kind of thought KDE looked cooler and offered more flexibilty.

When I installed Dapper, I played around with Gnome and got my desktop looking/working/feeling how I wanted it, then switched to a KDE Session to see how much I'd enjoy it.

Turns out I really do prefer Gnome. I keep them both installed though. I will play with KDE more.

aysiu
July 3rd, 2006, 06:05 PM
Obviously it would be more popular. Would it change the minds of Gnome die-hards? Of course not.

But most new users have no clue what the differences are between Gnome and KDE. They read about Ubuntu in the technology news or see it somewhere on the internet.

You'll see Ubuntu in the news a lot more than you'll see Kubuntu. Sometimes Ubuntu refers to the Gnome flavor of Ubuntu. Sometimes it refers generally to all Ubuntu derivatives (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu).

A new user will almost always try Ubuntu first, unless they have a good reason to try something else (maybe a friend recommended Kubuntu).

prizrak
July 3rd, 2006, 07:16 PM
I think tha if KDE was default Ubuntu wouldn't be as popular. I have used KDE extensively over the years and while it's fun to play with, it's a bit too much for a newbie. I haven't tried Kubuntu since Breezy version but that one didn't really work well for me. IMHO KDE is a power user interface from the get go, while Gnome seems more friendly for people who don't need as much control over everything, which is why I don't think KDE based Ubuntu would be very popular.

nuvo
July 3rd, 2006, 07:58 PM
If KDE had been the default, I'd either use a different distro such as Arch, or install Gnome since KDE doesn't run so well on my system.
XFCE is pretty nice too though, so I might have used that (not Fluxbox because although it's light, it didn't really do anything for me).

aysiu
July 3rd, 2006, 08:03 PM
I can't agree with you there, prizrak. If you're talking about the general populace (maybe in a dream world where Ubuntu comes preinstalled on Dells and HPs), then, yes, Gnome would make more sense, but since most people who migrate to Ubuntu now are power users with sophisticated tweaking needs, I'd say KDE would not drive people away.

I can't tell you how many times someone has said, "How do I do X, Y, or Z in Gnome?" and I have to tell them "Sorry, but you need KDE for that" or "you need to install extra software to do that in Gnome."

For power users from Windows who are used to a lot of graphical configuration and tweaking of the interface, KDE is ideal.

For regular users and power users who don't mind the command-line or the gconf-editor, Gnome is ideal.

Right now, we're not getting too many regular users... maybe that'll change in the future.

In any case, I believe the OP wasn't saying that Kubuntu would be the only option, but rather that the two would be switched, so Ubuntu would mean the KDE version and then Gubuntu would be the Gnome version.

newlinux
July 3rd, 2006, 08:06 PM
Obviously it would be more popular. Would it change the minds of Gnome die-hards? Of course not.

But most new users have no clue what the differences are between Gnome and KDE. They read about Ubuntu in the technology news or see it somewhere on the internet.

You'll see Ubuntu in the news a lot more than you'll see Kubuntu. Sometimes Ubuntu refers to the Gnome flavor of Ubuntu. Sometimes it refers generally to all Ubuntu derivatives (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu).

A new user will almost always try Ubuntu first, unless they have a good reason to try something else (maybe a friend recommended Kubuntu).

As a newbie myself I completely agree. I had heard about ubuntu and didn't really give any thought to KDE vs. Gnome and just installed ubuntu. I am so far happy with Gnome, but do wonder what I may be missing with KDE. I gave Xubuntu a try on one of my older computers... I plan on giving KDE a try in the near future... I just want to know what all the arguments and strong opinions are about.

aysiu
July 3rd, 2006, 08:10 PM
I just want to know what all the arguments and strong opinions are about. People just like to argue. I use XFCE, KDE, and Gnome about equally--I'm constantly switching. Honestly, for everyday work, they're all about the same. You click an icon, and it opens an application. You click the X button on the window, and the window closes.

They all have applications menus, window lists, clocks, file managers, etc.

People just like to argue.

There are some subtle differences I've outlined here as examples, though: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome.html

newlinux
July 3rd, 2006, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the quick overview page. Although I am one who likes to customize, in the little time I've been using Gnome, I've found it customizable enough. I will still give KDE a shot at some point, but I don't see anything yet that it offers that I just "have to have" over Gnome. Maybe experience will teach me different, but I doubt it. This reminds me of when I was in college and people would argue and argue and argue about which windowmanager was best... It's just a personal preference. I tend to just "get used to" what I am using if it is customizable enough.

aysiu
July 3rd, 2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's a life and death matter what desktop environment you choose. I created that page mainly for the new users who have no idea what to pick and insist on knowing what the differences are between KDE and Gnome.

Flipping a coin is probably the best thing to do for new users. They have other stuff to worry about (hardware detection, software installation, etc.).

Gijith
July 3rd, 2006, 09:05 PM
A great solution would be to get rid of a 'default' ubuntu.

Castar
July 4th, 2006, 02:34 AM
A great solution would be to get rid of a 'default' ubuntu.

No, I don't agree. I think that the Ubuntu team had to make a decision to keep the 1-cd download. And really, even though I prefer KDE, I understand why they chose Gnome instead. They had to make a decision and I believe they made the correct one.

I'm just saying that had they chosen KDE, then more people would be using KDE since many users just find (the default) Gnome adequate and they not really "look" for something else for various reasons. It works and that's it. KDE could be given the advantage if it was the default, just as Gnome has the advantage right now.

GuitarHero
July 4th, 2006, 04:00 AM
Has anyone used Edubuntu?

Blondie
July 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu and Mandriva (KDE) for a reasonable period. I prefer Gnome. Just my opinion and I thought I'd give it. :-)