PDA

View Full Version : HP Join The Ubuntu Club !

newbie2
November 8th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Canonical’s VP of Sales and Business Development, Chris Kenyon, shared some interesting stats on Ubuntu’s uptake in the world in a presentation to attendees of the recent Ubuntu Developer Summit. :popcorn:
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/ubuntu-pc-sales-skyrocket-in-2011

http://cloudfront.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/hp-in-china.jpg

mastablasta
November 8th, 2012, 12:54 PM
So whilst we in Europe and America might not be able to pop into our local PC World or Best Buy and nab an Ubuntu-loaded laptop quite yet, the fact that there are Ubuntu laptops out there and that they are selling in huge numbers, is exciting stuff.

Not true. was pleasantly surprised last weekend...

And this will only get better as Windows XP, the dominant OS in business, reaches its end-of-life in 2014. A scenario Kenyon believes gives Ubuntu the opportunity for even more success due to its ‘security, cosy, flexibility & manageability’.

too optimistic. Microsft Windows might cost them more but it doesn't matter since you can turn the cost into tax deductions. So that is not realyl an issue. flexibility & manageability.... well you have large staff trained for work with windows, various training payed for by MS, so why would they suddenlty take in Desktop linux. let's not even start with the workers. though admitedly we could do all our work (at leats mine) easilly in linux. it is more convenient and perhaps chepaer for the company to have windows installed (we have XP on older 7 on newer maschines). and additionally who knows how much MS transfer to CEO's account to keep windows on desktop mashcines...

also in emerging markets as i saw recently most dekstops/laptops come with no OS preloaded (or they have so called bootable linux or freedos which is kind of the same thing). people might buy ubuntu laptop but they will also be advised and will buy windows with it or have it installed for them on purchase. was checkign out Dell with Ubuntu preloaded and was quickly advised they can easilly stick win7 on it if i pay a few EUR extra.

as for the customers buying this stuff... i was watching their behaviour - mostly they are interested in their popular services to run well and then advised windows. for example "all i need it to run some facebook and yahoo messanger", "oh then you need windows on it". yahoo messanger (popular in the region i visited) doesn't really have a descent alternative in Linux. soem already came with the idea to have windows installed. most sellers didn't know anything about linux. you couldn't try with live USB/Cd.

despite the large choice of no OS systems i ended up buying win7 preloded mashcine. because most of those noOS were not fully linux compatible.

also where are the power mashcines with linux preloaded? for example soethign like Alienware? not that you need it since most games won't run in linux anyway.

mike acker
November 8th, 2012, 02:05 PM
as this is the "IMHO" section here goes

MSFT will increasingly attempt to use Windows to force customers into their new integrated "Windows/Live" environment

the old open-ness will vanish abruptly in a sudden paradigm shift to approved app stores. not just for fanbois but we see news on this for the Google/Android area now as well

"Cloud Computing" isn't what it is advertised to be at all. It is a turf war. At issue is: who will be the custodian of your data? think about this..... as computer security perforce improves how do the advert goons conduct their "research" (snooping ).

OK, I can't let the puppy chew up my tinfoil hat she'd make an awful mess

forrestcupp
November 8th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Not true. was pleasantly surprised last weekend...
Are you saying you went into a PC World or Best Buy and saw an Ubuntu loaded laptop?

mastablasta
November 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM
no i am in Europe and went to a few tech shops here in Europe and found them there. i also saw them online in another shop they have 17 models with linux preloaded (Ubuntu-Dell or SUSE-HP). Many of the no OS maschines i saw are preloaded with linux elsewhere. but they don't count here...

these current choices of linux mashcines in the shop: http://www.mimovrste.com/katalog/index.php?cat_id=47&ff_3297=3

they used to sell Acer also with Linpus Linux preinstalled.

if it's not allowed, i will remove the link.