PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.10 won't install after first step

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 04:51 AM
After I boot from the DVD and I get to the part where I connect to the Internet and check the 3rd party software box and click continue, it just sits there. It doesn't read from the DVD or anything. No errors come up, it just sits. When I hit cancel I get the live DVD desktop and all that, and that seems to work and all. But I would like to install the OS. I am in the process of downloading another image and will burn another DVD just to rule that out.

carl4926
November 8th, 2012, 04:53 AM
When you first boot the CD if you hit Esc, you can get to a menu to run a media check on the CD

maglax
November 8th, 2012, 04:54 AM
Do you have the right version for the age of your computer?

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Do you have the right version for the age of your computer?

What are the minimum system requirements? I will add that I am trying to install the x86 version on an x64 computer. But that shouldn't make a difference.

carl4926
November 8th, 2012, 05:09 AM
What are the minimum system requirements? I will add that I am trying to install the x86 version on an x64 computer. But that shouldn't make a difference.
Correct
Sometimes. If your RAM is low, choose to install rather than go directly to the live session.
Also see: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/installation-guide/i386/hardware-req.html

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Correct
Sometimes. If your RAM is low, choose to install rather than go directly to the live session.
Also see: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.10/installation-guide/i386/hardware-req.html

I have 2 gigs of RAM in this particular system. I don't think that is the problem. I will try a new ISO and DVD after it gets done downloading.

carl4926
November 8th, 2012, 05:24 AM
I have 2 gigs of RAM in this particular system. I don't think that is the problem. I will try a new ISO and DVD after it gets done downloading.
It's actually not necessary to keep downloading the .iso if you use bittorrent or a download manager that will check the pieces.
It may be, that the disk you have is OK
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10573557/Ubuntu/Ubuntu-boot-menu.jpeg

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I tried to install from a fresh bittorrent download and a fresh DVD. Still can't get it to install. It just sits there with the mouse cursor spinning.

carl4926
November 8th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Did you previously have 12.04?
Did you try it?

lisati
November 8th, 2012, 06:44 AM
Is there any sign of activity on your network, e.g. flashing NIC light?

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Did you previously have 12.04?
Did you try it?

No I use Mint at the moment, but would like to try the latest version of Ubuntu.

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Is there any sign of activity on your network, e.g. flashing NIC light?

This is a wireless connection, but I don't see light on my USB adapter. I have also tried to install with the wireless both turned off and unplugged and get the same issue.

carl4926
November 8th, 2012, 07:44 AM
Depending on how much you want to pursue this, it might be worth trying xubuntu, at least you could see if you can get any further. I suspect you might.

You will find greater stability at Mint though.

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Depending on how much you want to pursue this, it might be worth trying xubuntu, at least you could see if you can get any further. I suspect you might.

You will find greater stability at Mint though.

There seems to be quite a few problems with 12.10. Will we be seeing a 12.11 in the near future? I can just wait until then.

577 Jersey
November 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
12.04 is the way too go...

SiflOlly
November 8th, 2012, 10:08 PM
12.04 is the way too go...

If I could get 12.04 to install, do you think I would have any luck going through the upgrade process to 12.10 instead of trying a fresh install?

SiflOlly
November 9th, 2012, 01:22 AM
I am installing 12.04.1 at the moment. The installer was for some reason able to get passed the point that the 12.10 couldn't. I am at the resizing partitions step now. I know this can take a while, so hopefully I can get this version installed and then do the update procedure.