PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IP Alias for Virtual Machine

gregintexas
November 6th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Hi Everybody;

Thank you in advance for any help you can give. I have searched and searched and have not found an answer to my issue. I'm not sure if this should be in virtualisation or networking - since it's mostly a networking question, I'll ask here.

I have a rent-a-server with one NIC and two real-world IP addresses. The first IP, 69.xxx.xxx.xxx, is the actual IP address of the server. The second IP, 209.xxx.xxx.xxx, is an IP alias. The interface is defined as follows:

# loopback interface

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# ethernet interface

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 69.xxx.xxx.xxx
network 69.xxx.xxx.0
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 69.xxx.xxx.255
gateway 69.xxx.xxx.1

# virtual interfaces

auto eth0:0
iface eth0:0 inet static
name Ethernet alias LAN card
address 209.xxx.xxx.xxx
netmask 255.255.255.255
The 69.xxx.xxx.xxx address has a web server and a number of functioning services on it. The 209.xxx.xxx.xxx address is a recently purchased address. It "pings" as defined above. I've no previous experience with IP aliases, but as I understand it, the address is NOT associated with a network at all. There is no broadcast or gateway associated with the address.

I am attempting to install a product that functions within a virtual machine hosted on the same server. I want the virtual machine to be addressed by the 209.xxx.xxx.xxx address. The pre-built VMWare based virtual machine obtains its IP through DHCP. Both the host and virtual machine are Ubuntu 10.04 server. I would prefer to change the VM to use the 209.xxx.xxx.xxx static IP, but have no idea how to set that up since there is no actual network/broadcast/gateway. When I attempt to set up the dhcp3-server on the host, it fails to start, issuing the error message: "No subnet declaration for eth0:0 (0.0.0.0). ** Ignoring requests on eth0:0." as if the eth0:0 interface is not up. The eth0:0 is, however, up.

Anyone know how to set the above scenerio up? Is it even possible with an IP alias?

Thanks,

gregintexas

gregintexas
November 6th, 2012, 08:56 PM
I forgot to mention that Bridged networking is implemented on the virtual machine per the instructions of the product being installed. Thanks again!

gregintexas
November 7th, 2012, 01:16 AM
Please! If anyone knows that the above is impossible, respond to this thread. I've spent hours and hours on this problem. If it is possible, how in the heck do you do it?