PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fresh Pain 12.10 HP Mini 2102

VideoRoy
November 6th, 2012, 08:15 PM
I have been trying to get a decent install for a couple of years on my Mini Netbook 2102 (same as 210). Touchpad issues crippled me in every release but Ubuntu 12.04 got pretty close but still not there.

Finally 12.10 fixed the touchpad and a few other items (wireless improvement) but since Unity 2D is no longer there the performance is horrible and I continue to get System Crash, sluggish behavior and other processes that just stop (graphic related). I have tweaked and tweaked but it appears the nice simple interface of Unity designed for Netbooks will no longer function on my Netbook. I rolled back to gnome-fallback but I am not really happy with that either.

So far I have tried:
Xbuntu 12.10
Linix Mint Cinnamon 13
Ubuntu 12.10 Gnome Remix

All have some features but none as close to what I need as stock Ubuntu. No choice but to roll back to 12.04 or keep trying other distributions.

As the last straw for 12.10 it will not work on my Workstation either. Some incompatibility with my Nvidia graphics card causes black screen after splash screen and hangs but it works on all the other versions here as well. I believe this is also a Unity problem.

Very disappointing with the decision to not have a 2D option anymore.

snowpine
November 6th, 2012, 10:10 PM
I use Fuduntu on my netbook (Asus EEE 900ha).

I agree with you that Ubuntu is no longer suitable for low-spec hardware due to its bloat.

VideoRoy
November 6th, 2012, 11:23 PM
I use Fuduntu on my netbook (Asus EEE 900ha).

I agree with you that Ubuntu is no longer suitable for low-spec hardware due to its bloat.

Thanks, I will check that one out. I am getting more comfortable with the gnome-fallback-session since my programs still seem to work the same.

VideoRoy
November 7th, 2012, 02:49 AM
Alright, I have a config that is working pretty good so far after 2 days of tweaking.

I am using the gnome-fallback-session and I installed Docky. Functionality is quite good although I am missing the HUD I was really starting to like. Performance is much better for everything else.

On my Workstation I just loaded the Xubuntu-Desktop install of installing the whole distro and that is working pretty good for now as well.

Reserving judgement but this might be a good compromise.