PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Creating a dual boot system after Ubuntu is already installed

linux_trojan
November 6th, 2012, 07:19 AM
I am trying to dual boot windows XP. I had to use gparted to make room for my /home to be transfered to another partition, I also changed it to a logical partition. Where my /home was, I have formatted it using gparted to ntfs and made it bootable; however the windows cd cannot find any windows partition. I formatted the primary partition as ntfs and bootable. Why doesnt windows see the ntfs partition?

carl4926
November 6th, 2012, 07:57 AM
I have seen this before

I think I deleted the partition and left free space
then

My solution is to use the XP installer partitioner to re-format the space

Be careful

carl4926
November 6th, 2012, 07:58 AM
I have seen this before

I think I deleted the partition and left free space
then

My solution is to use the XP installer partitioner to re-format the space

Be careful

Or maybe I made it FAT32 and then formatted it to ntfs
try that

linux_trojan
November 6th, 2012, 09:31 AM
thanks for the reply. I tried both suggestions and none worked. This is happening to all my computers (3) ever since I went totally DELL back in 2008. Sometimes I wonder if DELL secretly put something in the bios to cause this. I really dont know but I am in a bad place now if I cant get this windows installed. Please help.

oldfred
November 6th, 2012, 07:51 PM
Is your new NTFS a primary partition formatted NTFS with the boot flag? It has to be primary or sda1 thru sda4.

linux_trojan
November 6th, 2012, 09:27 PM
I am trying to dual boot windows XP. I had to use gparted to make room for my /home to be transfered to another partition, I also changed it to a logical partition. Where my /home was, I have formatted it using gparted to ntfs and made it bootable; however the windows cd cannot find any windows partition. I formatted the primary partition as ntfs and bootable. Why doesnt windows see the ntfs partition?

Thanks for this post. Yes, originally the partition was logical but then I moved my /home to the logical, and put the NTFS on the hda3 partition, primary. I used Gparted to do all this, I also made it bootable using Gparted.

I have a separate windows box also. Is it possible to copy that windows over using an iso? I am really suck.

oldfred
November 6th, 2012, 09:59 PM
No, Windows is licensed for one computer only.

linux_trojan
November 6th, 2012, 10:33 PM
If there is a way to copy windows from on box to another box, I promise I will delete one copy. So how do you do it?

linux_trojan
November 7th, 2012, 06:22 AM
I went ahead and just blanked the entire hard drive: I wrote "0"s over the entire hard drive. Then I tried to format the drive using NTFS, Fat32, even Fat16 and Windows XP will still not see the drive. I am open to any wild solution at this point. I do have XP on another computer but I have never completely used linux on that computer either. Anyways, any suggestions would be welcome

carl4926
November 7th, 2012, 06:34 AM
But the XP setup starts?

Check the BIOS setting for AHCI settings and make sure it's in Compatibility Mode

linux_trojan
November 7th, 2012, 06:49 AM
I went into the BIOS and found something called SATA Operaton, and it had two options AHCI and ATA but I dont see anything for AHCI Settings. Could you give a little more info?

And yes XP set up starts but when I tell it to start the install, it says it cant find any windows partitions.

carl4926
November 7th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Just try the ATA setting

linux_trojan
November 7th, 2012, 03:38 PM
OMG I think it worked. For the first time I made it to the EULA, it didnt say "cant find windows partitions blah blah blah". I dont have time right now to investigate further but making it to the EULA is a big step forward. Next I gotta do all my partitions for dual boot: Linux, NTFS, Swap, etc, then install windows, then install linux. Lotta work to do but I got other stuff to do right now. In any case, thanks for your help, looks like its fixed.

carl4926
November 7th, 2012, 04:08 PM
OMG I think it worked. For the first time I made it to the EULA, it didnt say "cant find windows partitions blah blah blah". I dont have time right now to investigate further but making it to the EULA is a big step forward. Next I gotta do all my partitions for dual boot: Linux, NTFS, Swap, etc, then install windows, then install linux. Lotta work to do but I got other stuff to do right now. In any case, thanks for your help, looks like its fixed.
Sorted eh
Good