PDA

View Full Version : So Will We Get Free Kubuntu CDs?

totalshredder
March 18th, 2005, 10:12 PM
Now the plot thickens, what will they offer for free? Kubuntu? Kubuntu LIVE? Kubuntu PPC\AMD (Live as well?)? It's going to be interesting how Canonical will handle this situtation. I think if they don't give out the free Kubuntu it's going to keep Gnome as the main Ubuntu feature, but if Kubuntu is distributed; it'll be interesting.

What do you guys think of this?

Luke

zenwhen
March 19th, 2005, 03:16 AM
From what I hear, Canonical doesn't directly financially support Kubuntu's development. I doubt they will be paying for distribution.

BWF89
March 19th, 2005, 03:17 AM
Why is there a KDE Ubuntu? You can install KDE directly from Synaptic can't you? If not, why don't they just give you a choice of booting GNOME or KDE when you restart?

TravisNewman
March 19th, 2005, 03:55 AM
So you don't have to bother? Some people don't like having Gnome installed, and don't want to go through the trouble of downloading KDE, installing it, and uninstalling Gnome, and some simply don't have the bandwidth.
Seriously, this has been asked time and time and TIME again. There's a load of topics about this all over the forums and the web.

shimon
March 21st, 2005, 06:25 AM
The ubuntu DVD images include gnome && kde

kassetra
March 21st, 2005, 06:37 AM
From what I hear, Canonical doesn't directly financially support Kubuntu's development. I doubt they will be paying for distribution.

Exactly.

From what it looks like right now, they will support Kubuntu, because it's simply Ubuntu's base with KDE installed instead of Gnome - but they will not be shipping official cd's.

akurashy
March 21st, 2005, 06:47 AM
Why don't they make a package cd with selected GUIs on it? (KDE, XFCE) and some useful apps (xmms, webserver tools) etc etc?
I mean included in ubuntu cd distribution

kassetra
March 21st, 2005, 06:53 AM
Why don't they make a package cd with selected GUIs on it? (KDE, XFCE) and some useful apps (xmms, webserver tools) etc etc?

Have you read their reasons why the cd will most likely not change?

Here is a quick rundown:

1. They had a plethora of apps to choose from - but they didn't want to bloat the initial install, so they chose the ones they felt best fit with the overall user experience.

2. You are free to install whatever you like after that.

3. This was the best way they felt to combine speed, small footprint, and usability all on one cd.

4. If X app isn't chosen, they have reasons. Not every app that every user wants is going to be installed or available on the cd -- that's what the repositories are for.

5. This is just another reason why Ubuntu is not like any of the other "major" distros.

defkewl
March 21st, 2005, 07:00 AM
So what makes it different from Kubuntu if it already include kde?

akurashy
March 21st, 2005, 07:25 AM
Have you read their reasons why the cd will most likely not change?

Here is a quick rundown:

1. They had a plethora of apps to choose from - but they didn't want to bloat the initial install, so they chose the ones they felt best fit with the overall user experience.

2. You are free to install whatever you like after that.

3. This was the best way they felt to combine speed, small footprint, and usability all on one cd.

4. If X app isn't chosen, they have reasons. Not every app that every user wants is going to be installed or available on the cd -- that's what the repositories are for.

5. This is just another reason why Ubuntu is not like any of the other "major" distros.

ahh hmm oky

daniels
March 21st, 2005, 07:38 AM
I don't know whether or not there will be Kubuntu CDs, but the reason we don't put more stuff on the CD is that, well, CDs are only so big. Keeping the size in check is a constant battle.

poofyhairguy
March 21st, 2005, 07:41 AM

Because all that stuff is in the universe. They will never mail a cd with stuff from the Universe. Its officially unsupported.

shimon
March 21st, 2005, 02:45 PM

Quest-Master
March 22nd, 2005, 02:55 AM
It'd certainly attract more KDE users, but how hard is it to upgrade to Hoary if needed and then install Kubuntu with apt-get?

TravisNewman
March 22nd, 2005, 03:20 AM
It'd certainly attract more KDE users, but how hard is it to upgrade to Hoary if needed and then install Kubuntu with apt-get?
Depends on whether you're using 56k ;)

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 06:30 AM
Depends on whether you're using 56k ;)

That sounds soo painful!