PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] graphical shutdown in command line needed

madnbri
November 6th, 2012, 02:22 AM
Hi,
I want to start the shutdown window from command line, like this:
http://i45.tinypic.com/rrqxc6.png

$ sudo halt doesn't work correctly (because it couldn't DO), that's why I want to use this form.

Thanks in advance for Your answers.

Regards,
m

PS: Buttons are "Cancel" and "Shutdown" of course

LewisTM
November 6th, 2012, 04:27 PM
That's a dialog produced by the Xfce Session Menu a.k.a. Action Buttons plugin. I don't think you can directly call it from the command line.

You can call the logout dialog with

xfce4-session-logout
or shutdown directly (no confirmation) with

xfce4-session-logout --halt

Cheers!

madnbri
November 7th, 2012, 09:08 PM
That's a dialog produced by the Xfce Session Menu a.k.a. Action Buttons plugin. I don't think you can directly call it from the command line.

You can call the logout dialog with

xfce4-session-logoutor shutdown directly (no confirmation) with

xfce4-session-logout --haltCheers!

This is the way. Thank You!

LewisTM
November 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM
Excellent! Please mark as SOLVED.

madnbri
November 15th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Excellent! Please mark as SOLVED.
No! It's a really terrible OS.
I WANT to halt automatically from command line without password! I WANT, because I NEED (I mean crontab and $ ... && sudo halt). It is also impossible still yesterday, because xfce4-session-logout --halt asks the password again. I hate it.
I tried to edit sudoers AGAIN, but it doesn't work of course. No way.
For example:

$ sudo visudo
User_Alias SHUTDOWNUSERS = user
Cmnd_Alias SHUTDOWNCNMDS = /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot, /sbin/halt
SHUTDOWNUSERS SHUTDOWNCMNDS = NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWNCMNDS
<esc>:wq
visudo: Warning: Host_Alias `SHUTDOWNCMNDS' referenced but not defined
BUT THERE IS NOT DEFINED OR REFERENCED ANY Host_Alias! I HAVE GOT User_Alias and Cmnd_Alias ONLY.
Of course I tried any other way using something like this:

user ALL=(ALL:ALL) NOPASSWD: ALLIt asks passwd any way.
Can I get help?

Lars Noodén
November 15th, 2012, 11:21 AM
You seem to have a typographical error. 'SHUTDOWNCNMDS' should be 'SHUTDOWNCMNDS'

madnbri
November 15th, 2012, 11:25 AM
You seem to have a typographical error. 'SHUTDOWNCNMDS' should be 'SHUTDOWNCMNDS'
No. I've typed here, not copied from sudoers. It is correct there.

Lars Noodén
November 15th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Sorry I missed it the first time around "SHUTDOWNUSERS SHUTDOWNCMNDS = NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWNCMNDS" should be "SHUTDOWNUSERS all = NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWNCMNDS". That position / field is for the host name and you have no host alias specification covering "SHUTDOWNCMNDS".

NikTh
November 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
I WANT to halt automatically from command line without password!

Have yout tried this ? => http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11700789&postcount=3

Thanks

madnbri
November 15th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Sorry I missed it the first time around "SHUTDOWNUSERS SHUTDOWNCMNDS = NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWNCMNDS" should be "SHUTDOWNUSERS all = NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWNCMNDS". That position / field is for the host name and you have no host alias specification covering "SHUTDOWNCMNDS".
OK, I've corrected the Host_Alias mistake, but still doesn't work. sudo halt asks password.

Lars Noodén
November 15th, 2012, 11:59 AM
sudo seems to be fussy. Try using the whole path as you have written it in /etc/sudoers when calling shutdown.

sudo /sbin/shutdown -k

madnbri
November 15th, 2012, 03:52 PM
sudo seems to be fussy. Try using the whole path as you have written it in /etc/sudoers when calling shutdown.

sudo /sbin/shutdown -k

Everything is the same: pass needed. (A little comment: gentoo works correctly... ...the linux...)

Lars Noodén
November 15th, 2012, 04:04 PM
Can you copy and paste the exact rules you have in sudoers?

madnbri
November 15th, 2012, 04:12 PM
Can you copy and paste the exact rules you have in sudoers?

# User alias specification
User_Alias SHUTDOWNUSERS = user

# Cmnd alias specification
Cmnd_Alias SHUTDOWNCMNDS = /sbin/shutdown, /sbin/reboot, /sbin/halt

# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL:ALL) ALL ## original root
SHUTDOWNUSERS ALL = NOPASSWD: SHUTDOWNCMNDS

Lars Noodén
November 15th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Strange. If I copy and paste that into /etc/sudoers.d/shutdown, then I can run shutdown via sudo without a password. In other words, it works for me. I'm not sure what to suggest.

madnbri
November 15th, 2012, 04:32 PM
Strange. If I copy and paste that into /etc/sudoers.d/shutdown, then I can run shutdown via sudo without a password. In other words, it works for me. I'm not sure what to suggest.

I have to thank Your help and patience. I run out of this second one by ubuntu. Installing and setting up of Gentoo is really uncomfortable, but that is still linux, not something like windows - I know the solution: upgrade to gentoo.

Thanks for everything.

madnbri
November 16th, 2012, 04:55 AM
I have to thank Your help and patience. I run out of this second one by ubuntu. Installing and setting up of Gentoo is really uncomfortable, but that is still linux, not something like windows - I know the solution: upgrade to gentoo.

Thanks for everything.

Yeees!

When I tried to install gentoo, bootup failed. I didn't know why, but this happened earlier also (because of incorrect driver on liveCD for example - no problem), the solution is using systemrescuecd instead of original gentoo installation iso. That one failed also... Ugh!
There is something really strange. Back to xubuntu installation CD, boots up, trying to backup existing system - failure.
Try to clear all and reinstall: boots up, but cannot create new partition table - bang! The original partition table is confused. Where are my partitions? Nowhere, but there are only two of my originals (/dev/sda1 /dev/sda2) and some extras something like *root* stuff, gear, gadget, etc.
I've dusted a very old Debian installer CD, and created the partitions by fdisk of that.
Back to xubuntu installer CD, and installed a completely new system. Now it works perfect.

I have got a new question than:
What happened?