PDA

View Full Version : Kindle Fire HD vs Nexus 7?

mamamia88
November 6th, 2012, 01:37 AM
If you were going to get one which would it be and why? Ubuntu looks cool on the 7 but probably something I wouldn't use. I'm accustomes to regular android on my phone so that's another selling point for the 7. Then again the hdmi out on the fire hd is really appealing as well as the supposedly awesome wifi. My android phone barerly works on wifi where i would primarily use the tablet but my laptop,ps3,and 360 all work in that spot. Also i plan on reupping my prime subscription eventually. How bad is the amazon version of android? Also anyone root a fire hd yet?

GrubThemeArtist
November 6th, 2012, 01:44 AM
I have a Nexus 7 and I love it. I played with a classmate's Fire HD, and it just felt less responsive. I wouldn't worry about Ubuntu running on the Nexus 7 since how applications haven't really been ported, and it's really buggy. I've never had an issue with the Nexus's wifi and I have yet to want to connect my tablet to my TV through HDMI or something (have a bunch of other devices connected to it for doing whatever the tablet could do). So my vote is for the Nexus 7.

Derxst
November 6th, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hard to explain but the Kindle Fire HD just "feels" sluggish. It "functions."

The Nexus 7 is smooth as silk and because of the smoothness, you aren't aware the presence of the interface. This allows you to use the device for what you intended.

+1 on the Nexus 7

x-shaney-x
November 6th, 2012, 01:56 AM
One more for the Nexus 7.
I have one and so does the missus and they both run like butter.

I have used a Kindle Fire HD and it's decent enough but is so tied in with Amazon and buying things.

I feel like I can do what I want with the N7. Less so with the KF.

As for unity/ubuntu. Forget it. By the time unity is anything like usable on a tablet, something better will have come along and android does what it does so very well something like ubuntu isn't needed.

mamamia88
November 6th, 2012, 02:01 AM
How about if i rooted the kindle fire hd and installed a custom rom on it? Surerly someone has come up with some roms for it by now? edit the section on xda for the fire hd seems dead. think that made up my mind

GrubThemeArtist
November 6th, 2012, 02:05 AM
I haven't rooted my Nexus 7, and the stock Jelly Bean Android works fine. I haven't bothered with custom ROMS.

mamamia88
November 6th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I haven't rooted my Nexus 7, and the stock Jelly Bean Android works fine. I haven't bothered with custom ROMS.

works fine until google stops rolling out updates to it. then the ability to install a custom rom comes in handy

GrubThemeArtist
November 6th, 2012, 02:29 AM
works fine until google stops rolling out updates to it. then the ability to install a custom rom comes in handy

True, but the Nexus series seems to be their bread and butter. They're also coming out with the Nexus 10 which has some sweet specs.

aysiu
November 6th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Nexus 7. No contest, especially since on the Nexus 7 you have access to both Google Play and the Amazon AppStore... and you can always install the Kindle app.

GrubThemeArtist
November 6th, 2012, 02:57 AM
Nexus 7. No contest, especially since on the Nexus 7 you have access to both Google Play and the Amazon AppStore... and you can always install the Kindle app.

Also, if you link your youtube account to your google play account you can access your purchased videos from youtube. Although I've only gotten the videos to play for me on Linux when I'm using Firefox, and they don't work on Google Chrome. I think it has something to do with HAL (same issue with Amazon video).

nikonian
November 6th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Nexus 7. When the price is SO little in difference, why would you buy a lesser spec product with a locked down, OEM version of Android? :/

mamamia88
November 6th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Nexus 7. When the price is SO little in difference, why would you buy a lesser spec product with a locked down, OEM version of Android? :/

price is exactly the same. figured both where about equal in terms of spec and am the geeky type who would install stock android on it anyway as soon as someone comes out with a rom.

nikonian
November 6th, 2012, 03:11 AM
price is exactly the same. figured both where about equal in terms of spec and am the geeky type who would install stock android on it anyway as soon as someone comes out with a rom.

Oh okay - I got that wrong then re. price. Well guess what - someone ALREADY came out with ROMs for the Nexus 7 ;) :p

divergex
November 6th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Here's another vote for the Nexus 7. I just tried both the Fire HD and Nexus 7 at a local Staples, and the performance of the custom interface on the Fire was jerky. Once in apps it was fine, but the interface definitely lacks polish. Also with the Nexus base model having 16GB instead of the old 8GB, to me it's a no-brainer.

mamamia88
November 6th, 2012, 03:14 AM
Oh okay - I got that wrong then re. price. Well guess what - someone ALREADY came out with ROMs for the Nexus 7 ;) :p

i see that. kindle fire hd seems like it would have a bunch of roms but on the xda forums they have a rooting guide but no custom roms yet. wtf. anyway looking like i'll bet getting a nexus 7. does the play store charge tax and is shipping reasonable?

GrubThemeArtist
November 6th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Here's another vote for the Nexus 7. I just tried both the Fire HD and Nexus 7 at a local Staples, and the performance of the custom interface on the Fire was jerky. Once in apps it was fine, but the interface definitely lacks polish. Also with the Nexus base model having 16GB instead of the old 8GB, to me it's a no-brainer.

There's a 32gb model now.

mamamia88
November 6th, 2012, 04:11 AM
There's a 32gb model now.

also looks like base model is 16gb now for same price. good to know you can buy at staples and save on shipping thanks.