PDA

View Full Version : A Poll to know in advance

Mark_in_Hollywood
November 5th, 2012, 06:18 PM
I suggest a poll for users of this site to ask them to say whether they will be upgrading to the next version of Ubuntu.

I have 12.04 and as that is an LTS version, I have decided to keep it for now. All is working and "it's all good". As I'm not computer-sufficient I don't know if waiting for 13.04 will cause me to have to upgrade to 12.10 first, but that's a risk I'm willing to take.

Anyway, if the Poll asked in advance of the next OS release, it might help everyone understand better, where we are and where we are headed.

Just a thought.

Got2thinkin
November 5th, 2012, 06:27 PM
I suggest a poll for users of this site to ask them to say whether they will be upgrading to the next.......

Yes

I even do Beta.
Helps me in my learning and if your chosen for a beta testin team...all the better :)

VinDSL
November 5th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Heh! All I run is development branches. That's where the action is...

Well, actually, I do have Ubu 10.10 dual-booted on this machine, but it was orphaned, some time ago. It's my emergency backup, for when something breaks in the dev branch, and I cannot boot into it.

Also, I need Ubu 10.10, so I can test Conky scripts on a Gnome 2 desktop.

Anyway, no, I won't be installing a version where "All is working and "it's all good".

I'd rather stick pins in my eyesballs, and run into oncoming traffic. LoL! :D

xeizo
November 5th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Stable is boring, makes a dull boy ;-)

(Ubuntu has never been unstable enough to hinder me from running a 24/7 server on development software, it's the graphical eyecandy that's usually unstable and to some extent audio not the underlying Linux OS, I could still run my server even at those times NO desktop worked)

zika
November 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Stable is boring, makes a dull boy ;-)

(Ubuntu has never been unstable enough to hinder me from running a 24/7 server on development software, it's the graphical eyecandy that's usually unstable and to some extent audio not the underlying Linux OS, I could still run my server even at those times NO desktop worked)There were several times that we had to resort to chroot... Rare but there... Many times we were saved by being given a heads-up quickly enough...

ventrical
November 5th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Heh! All I run is development branches. That's where the action is...

Well, actually, I do have Ubu 10.10 dual-booted on this machine, but it was orphaned, some time ago. It's my emergency backup, for when something breaks in the dev branch, and I cannot boot into it.

Also, I need Ubu 10.10, so I can test Conky scripts on a Gnome 2 desktop.

Anyway, no, I won't be installing a version where "All is working and "it's all good".

I'd rather stick pins in my eyesballs, and run into oncoming traffic. LoL! :D

+1 hehehe lol .. same here. When I was very young, working on my first vacuum tube TV the heaters would light up and that illuminated my mind , then , the dust on top of the tubes would start to singe (burn) and send up an invisible smoke-scent like some sort of incense. Sometimes in the older processors and electronic components, there was gold on those .. real gold .. and when they over-heated to point of thermal runaway it sent up this sweet smelling scent ... :) I used to have to test hardware and so there was something always smoking .. hehe .. those were the good old days .. :) It's hard to find breakage like that anymore .. :)

VinDSL
November 5th, 2012, 09:34 PM
[...] the dust on top of the tubes would start to singe (burn) and send up an invisible smoke-scent like some sort of incense.

I used to have to test hardware and so there was something always smoking .. hehe .. those were the good old days .. :) It's hard to find breakage like that anymore .. :)
Bulging electrolytic capacitors give off a distinct odor, too! I prefer the scent of bad caps, over dusty tubes... :D

BTW, if you love the smell of dusty tubes, cheap mono block amps (in the truck of your car) will do the same thing, if you push them hard enough @ 2 ohms.

Er... I think we're going OT. I'll stop now.

ventrical
November 5th, 2012, 09:58 PM
;)

jerrylamos
November 6th, 2012, 12:24 AM
I suggest a poll for users of this site to ask them to say whether they will be upgrading to the next version of Ubuntu.
Anyway, if the Poll asked in advance of the next OS release, it might help everyone understand better, where we are and where we are headed.
Can't tell ahead of time - what features will it have? What bugs? I've still got 12.10 bugs not fixed that are still in raring.

So I test whatever ubuntu throws over the wall, but using 12.04.1 to get work done.

Gave up on 12.10. Was improving for me thru B1. Then they threw in a bunch of half baked last minute stuff on B2, RC, Release. Not for me.

Trying 13.04 as the updates trickle in.

DogMatix
November 6th, 2012, 01:05 AM
I do have Raring running on a spare box and I used to be very eager to be cutting edge. But I have adopted Ubuntu to the point now that on my main desktop (work horse) I will be sticking to LTS this time around.

ronacc
November 6th, 2012, 01:16 AM
I already did .

Got2thinkin
November 6th, 2012, 05:56 PM

Sidebar:

Thanks for the link in your sig.
I'm somewhat a newbie with Linux and that link is very helpful. :cool:

grahammechanical
November 6th, 2012, 06:39 PM
@Mark_in_Hollywood

You are joking me. Yes?

This section of the forum is for those of us who are using the development branch. We have been using 12.10 for most if not all of the last six months. We are now switching over to 13.04. At the moment it is very much still 12.10 but over the weeks it will become 13.04. And the we will move on to 13.10.

This kind of poll is more useful in the Community Cafe section.

Have you see this?

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/almost-half-of-users-have-already-upgraded-to-ubuntu-12-10

That is based upon 8,700 replies. It might be possible for this forum to get more replies than that but not in this section.

Regards.

Carlos Araujo
November 6th, 2012, 07:57 PM
AMD/Intel Hybrid Graphics Support !!

cariboo
November 7th, 2012, 03:25 AM
This really has nothing to do with Raring testing. Moved to the Cafe.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
November 7th, 2012, 03:52 PM
I have 10.04 (ubuntu) here incase i have a deal-breaking issue on 12.10 (xubuntu)
it i still doing good dec1 i will finalize my transition to 12.10 from 10.04

Sonsum
November 7th, 2012, 05:22 PM
For me, 12.10 just seems like a Unity upgrade, so I'll be sticking to 12.04 for now.