PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Used to Make Props for ‘The Hobbit’ [Video]

philinux
November 5th, 2012, 02:43 PM
I can't wait for this pic to be released. PJ is awesome and the cast looks fantastic too.

Loved his LOTR.

I just cant understand how they get a trilogy out of the hobbit though as it's not a huge book. Maybe 2 but 3 ? Well time will tell.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/ubuntu-used-to-make-props-for-the-hobbit-video?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

sffvba[e0rt
November 5th, 2012, 09:08 PM
Nice to see Ubuntu out there being used.

KiwiNZ
November 5th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Their entire operation is run on ubuntu desktops, Notebooks and their massive Servers. My wife has seen into the heart as they are one of her clients but she cannot get me in there to have a look see.

WinterMadness
November 5th, 2012, 09:14 PM
I can't wait for this pic to be released. PJ is awesome and the cast looks fantastic too.

Loved his LOTR.

I just cant understand how they get a trilogy out of the hobbit though as it's not a huge book. Maybe 2 but 3 ? Well time will tell.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/11/ubuntu-used-to-make-props-for-the-hobbit-video?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28OMG!+Ubuntu!%29

they'll get a trilogy out of it by being closer to the book, movies always take out a ton of detail

forrestcupp
November 5th, 2012, 09:42 PM
I just cant understand how they get a trilogy out of the hobbit though as it's not a huge book. Maybe 2 but 3 ? Well time will tell.Yeah, it's just a scheme to stretch it out and make a lot more money. The Hobbit is smaller than one of the LOTR books. I think it's ridiculous. But I heard that the 3rd movie will be more from the LOTR's appendices, and not actually part of the Hobbit story.

Their entire operation is run on ubuntu desktops, Notebooks and their massive Servers. My wife has seen into the heart as they are one of her clients but she cannot get me in there to have a look see.That's pretty awesome that they are one of your wife's clients.

WinterMadness
November 5th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Yeah, it's just a scheme to stretch it out and make a lot more money. The Hobbit is smaller than one of the LOTR books. I think it's ridiculous. But I heard that the 3rd movie will be more from the LOTR's appendices, and not actually part of the Hobbit story.

That's pretty awesome that they are one of your wife's clients.

The lotr movies took out massive chunks of the story. If they make a hobbit trilogy and put everything in the book on film they can make a trilogy I think. Most book to movie films take out at least 30% of the details, Tolkien books being closer to 50

Linuxratty
November 6th, 2012, 12:51 AM
I agree, Winter Maddness.I rarely watch a movie based on a book.
I was disappointed with LOTR even though the scenery was breathtaking.
I have no plans to watch The Hobbit.

mastablasta
November 6th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Their entire operation is run on ubuntu desktops, Notebooks and their massive Servers. My wife has seen into the heart as they are one of her clients but she cannot get me in there to have a look see.

and yet people continue to complain how there is no professional grade art software in linux because latest Photoshop doesn't work in Linux....