PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] ubuntu 12.10 gdm problem

alvpizz
November 5th, 2012, 02:14 PM
hello, i am using ubuntu 12.10, and i have installed many desktop environments in addition unity, the default one. my problem is that now, in the gdm, when i click on the ubuntu icon to select the desktop environment i want to use, the list is quite long, and it goes beyond the end of the screen, so I can select no desktop environment, because I can't click anymore on the ok at the bottom of the list.
i have installed GNOME, gnome classic, lubuntu-desktop and xubuntu-desktop. i have also tried to remove them, but they still not disapper from the list.:confused:
i would not like to re-install my system, so I would like to have an easy solution to this..

by the way, now, when i start and switch off the computer, i get no more the purple sceen with written ubuntu and the five dots under it, but i get the lubuntu blue screen.

does anyone know how to solve this:mad:? thankyou!

danelwillis
November 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM
You might have installed an old version ox Linux, ihad this problem you can remove the different packages using synaptic manager, if you don't have this try "sudo apt-get install synaptic" you should be able to delete the packages relating to the different environments

alvpizz
November 5th, 2012, 04:47 PM
You might have installed an old version ox Linux, ihad this problem you can remove the different packages using synaptic manager, if you don't have this try "sudo apt-get install synaptic" you should be able to delete the packages relating to the different environments

i have already removed all the installed packages that i could found using synaptic searching with it "xubuntu" and "lubuntu". now none of them are installed

alvpizz
November 5th, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'de managed to resolve the problem: i have uninstalled also all packages found by searching in synaptic "xcfe" and "lxde".
anyway, one problem still remains: if i have installed more than 7 desktop environments, the list on the gdm runs out of space and i can not choose anymore. this problem should be fixed.

ibjsb4
November 5th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I think I would try "lightdm" just to see if it handles the list differently. I have used lightdm with the gnome-classic desktop without problems. It is also default for xubuntu/lubuntu and unity. I do not run gnome-shell so don't know about that.

alvpizz
November 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM
I think I would try "lightdm" just to see if it handles the list differently. I have used lightdm with the gnome-classic desktop without problems. It is also default for xubuntu/lubuntu and unity. I do not run gnome-shell so don't know about that.

and how can I see if i have installed gdm or lightgdm? and how can I switch from one to the other?

ibjsb4
November 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM
Googlubuntu is good for forum searches.

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?cx=006238239194895611142%3Au-ocqbntw_o&cof=FORID%3A9&ie=UTF-8&q=switch+from+gdm+to+lightdm&as_qdr=all&sa=Google+Search&lang=en

You probably have lightdm installed, check to see with the software center or just try to install it in terminal.

sudo apt-get install lightdm

If its already installed, it will say so.

And I think you will find this interesting :)

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/pureubuntu