PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Uninstall win 7 on my dual boot system ubuntu 12.04

astraone
November 5th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Hello,

I have win 7 on my dual boot system along with ubuntu 12.04 the ssd drive is partioned,please could someone advise /link me to thread on how to uninstall win 7 from my system

I am fairly new to Linux but like it a lot

David

Al Stat
November 5th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Is there only one hardware data storage device (your SSD)? Or there are other HDD/SSD?

You need to search for:

1) How to install Grub on disk (hardware one) containing your Linux installation. Probably Grub is already on it. http://askubuntu.com/questions/30341/how-to-know-the-partition-where-grub-is-installed
If it is not - then you need to use "grub-install" command to install Grub on disk (hardware one) containing your Linux.

2) How to with GParted delete partition with unwanted operating system.

3) How to expand existent partitions and use space to be freed.

4) Launch "sudo update-grub".

Pay attention:

On what partition is located "/boot/grub/grub.cfg".

On file "/etc/fstab". In case of partitions resise may be changed partition's UUIDs. Use separately Gparted (or "sudo fdisk -l") and command "ls -l /dev/disk/*" to investigate partition's UUIDs. Correct values in "/etc/fstab".

Good tool is http://partedmagic.com/doku.php?id=start
It allows you to boot from independent data storage (CD, flash drive, etc.) and organise your computer's internal data storages.

Before you start - do backup of any valuable data. Create this backup on external storages, on storages NOT to be used or accessed while you will be working on your computer.

varunendra
November 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Hi astraone, Welcome to the forums !

I have win 7 on my dual boot system along with ubuntu 12.04 the ssd drive is partioned,please could someone advise /link me to thread on how to uninstall win 7 from my system

Are you positive that it is a 'proper' dual boot and not a wubi installation ? (in a proper dual boot you are presented with the purple grub menu with options to boot linux...., linux.... (recovery mode), memtest, windows etc.)

If so, all you need to just delete or format the partition that holds windows (plus its separate 'boot' partition if it has one).

You can use the included 'Disk utility' tool to do that, or install and use Gparted to do it more elegantly. Gparted is already available on the live cd, but you have to be careful if running from live cd. Running it from the installed Ubuntu is safer.

That said, why do you want to do this ? You said yourself that "I am fairly new to Linux". As such, I won't suggest to remove windows until you get quite familiar and comfortable with Ubuntu. In any case, You should consider creating a set of 'Backup DVDs' using 'Backup and recovery' option in windows' control panel, in case you ever wish to restore windows back.