PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu Trial on Windows XP Home netbook

philpense
November 4th, 2012, 11:10 PM
Lubuntu Post November 4th 5:00PM
Have the Lubuntu ISO file extracted to a 4Gb USB drive. Target machine is an XP home netbook with 1Gb free of a 15Gb SSD drive. I recall reading about how one can experience a "trial" of Lubuntu before the actual install.
Seeking that particular documentation and possibly if there is a youtube video on how the test drive this OS. Much thanks for any guidance as I await a reply.

Phil Pense
washington, DC

leclerc65
November 5th, 2012, 12:15 AM
You use a program like Unetbootin (Windows - Google for it) and write the ISO to your USB.
While booting press Esc, Delete , F2... depending on computers, then choose option boot by your USB.

philpense
November 5th, 2012, 12:57 AM
You use a program like Unetbootin (Windows - Google for it) and write the ISO to your USB.
While booting press Esc, Delete , F2... depending on computers, then choose option boot by your USB.
Much thanks for the timely reply. Had to use another USB installer. Lubuntu says Unetbootin is the preference. Could not find a useable link. One would be appreciated. I have Lubuntu running from a USB. Most of it works fine. The mouse, however, stayed lit for at least 30 minutes but did not work. Similar issue for bluetooth... Icon is in the tray but do not see a way to force discovery. Is there a way to force discovery? Continued guidance sought

leclerc65
November 6th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Here is the link
http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/files/UNetbootin/581/unetbootin-windows-581.exe/download?use_mirror=iweb

mastablasta
November 6th, 2012, 10:04 AM
The mouse, however, stayed lit for at least 30 minutes but did not work. Similar issue for bluetooth... Icon is in the tray but do not see a way to force discovery. Is there a way to force discovery? Continued guidance sought

what kind of mouse ? more data needed: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

bluetooth might need additional packages to be installed.