PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] After upgrade to Quantal

aoniumo
November 4th, 2012, 09:44 PM
I was disappointed with webapps.
I was not notified of the five messages in my Facebook inbox or the new posts.
It opened a new window, which made chromium unusable. I could not use chromium to enter addresses in the address bar, open bookmarks, etc.
I uninstalled this.

I do not use lenses, so everything with lenses that I found hogging memory in System Monitor have been uninstalled. I hope that's safe and doesn't screw up unity later.
All the apps I use are on the launcher, so everything else unity-related is useless to me.

When I was with precise, I stopped using Firefox since it had become a memory hog - 1 gigabyte by keeping five-seven tabs open! Seriously?! When did a browser start using 25% of total memory? But this new version of Firefox is really great. Even with seven tabs open and after two hours of use, memory use stayed under 500mb. So I dumped Chromium for Firefox. I'll keep chromium as a back up.

I don't like how the new software update automatically checks for updates. Sometimes I just want to check my settings, not look for updates.

My cinnamon has been removed. Hopefully there will be support for quantal later on. I like cinnamon as an alternative.

aoniumo
November 5th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Ooops!

I may have deleted needed unity settings. I log in and only greeted with a blank screen.

critin
November 5th, 2012, 04:43 PM
It's safer to stay with LTS releases (12.04) unless you like to test the latest new features (12.10), and have the time to research fixes. In that case, I'd use a separate partition or hdd so it doesn't interfere with your working system.

Don't delete/uninstall system stuffs! If you don't like the lens, launcher, etc; install another desktop environment and choose that when you login. Or install Xubuntu 12.10. It's perfect.

Good luck!