PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade edubuntu to edubuntu

Costas100
November 4th, 2012, 06:10 PM
I was running edubuntu 10.04 (I think) and was invited by Ubuntu to upgrade to ubuntu (Edubuntu ?? 11.10) which I did.
I am now at a loss here are some of my problems at the moment, I think more will appear:
1. I cannot find the menu list at the top panel (Applications / Places /System)
2. I guess I am on unity and need to find out how to go to the old system.
3. I cannot figure out where are the panels, how to add or remove icons etc
4. In particular I an trying to add the workspaces and the only thing I can find is through the left icon bar the workspace switcher which is not convenient. I would like to have the workspaces in a panel (such as the lower panel and not filling the whole monitor surface.
5. Where are the synaptic package manager as well as the Software sources.
6. Some other features are missing such as the gedit tool options.
7. The minimize maximize capability is generally hiding in many software
8. The Ubuntu software center has instability, text jumps in and out at random.

I hope that switching from Unity may solve most problems, please guide me how to switch

Fortunately I have two more computers with Ubuntu and other windows and Linux software, so there is no urgency.

Thank you all

Costas

Costas100
November 5th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I noticed that this thread had 64 visits but no replies yet. I was dreaming about it all night and waking up in the morning I did a web search and found a very easy solution in http://deviceguru.com/ubuntu-11-10-without-shell-shock/
You can read the whole thing but for a basic solution you can use the portion from:
Now, log out of Unity by clicking the gear-shaped widget at the right edge of the top panel and selecting “Log Out”
To:
Enter your password followed by hitting the Enter key, and you should find yourself at a blank GNOME desktop like that shown at right (click image to enlarge).
In my case I found out that the software "gnome-session-fallback" was already installed in my computer and all is fine now.
Now you can move the top panel then add new panels (always by clicking "Alt+ Right Click") as you wish and add your applets in any panel you wish. You must use the "Alt+ Right Click" for any "add to panel" function.
Good luck to all and:

Thank you Ubuntu plus many thanks to deviceguru.com

This thread is now solved.

Costas / Joseph

Costas100
November 7th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Although this thread is now basically solved, there is a minor issue that I need your help:
After switching from Unity to Ubuntu Classic, today I cannot find neither the preferences section nor the administration section. What I need desperately at this moment is the controls of the screen saver. I opened the Main Menu and the Menu editor, but I am at a loss.
Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Costas

Sonsum
November 7th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Do you have a launcher like gnome-do or synapse? That should make it easier to find your settings if it's not showing up in your menu.

(I think the general lack of response of this forum is due to edubuntu is one of the lesser used remasters)

Costas100
November 7th, 2012, 08:53 PM
The reason I am using Edubuntu is that I am sharing my computers with 2 Grand daughters and soon maybe three.

Take care and somehow I will solve this problem.

Costas