PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I might be over my head

Everett Arndt
November 4th, 2012, 02:11 PM
I have a 1TB drive that fell off the desk. That is a long story. :confused: hurricane sandy thanks :mad: I am reviving an old laptop IBM 600e and go from one hard drive to the other using usb Or I can use my network to restore the drive. and planning to use dd rescue to do a reverse image and recover the drive. I have never used Linux so I am not willing to spend 600.00 to restore my music when i can download it for that again it is between 50 and 60 GB. What is the best version to use on that IBM laptop. All advice is appreciated.
Thanks!!!!
Everett

uclugLee
November 4th, 2012, 02:27 PM
I would probably go with 12.04.

Bucky Ball
November 4th, 2012, 02:39 PM
I would probably go with 12.04.

Did you look up the machine? If it is the one in this link, with a Pentium II and 64mb of RAM, then there is no *buntu that will run on it, although there are alternatives:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/24217/article.html

@ Everett Arndt: Welcome. This thing is very old. Please confirm if this is your machine or supply specs or a link if not .

grahammechanical
November 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM
If I understand you correctly you want to recover data from a 1TB drive using a very old IBM computer. Correct?

I doubt very much if you can directly connect that 1TB drive to the IBM. I would guess that the 1TB is a SATA drive and the IBM has connection for IDE drives. So, incompatibility straight away.

Regards.

OrangeCrate
November 4th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Confirming...

If you have the classic 600E, you won't get anything *buntu to work. I've tried it. I had no expectations, and I didn't try anything lighter than Lubuntu 11 something. I pulled the hard drive, and sent the rest of it for recycling.

Everett Arndt
November 4th, 2012, 05:15 PM
I was hoping not to have to use the Pentium 4 back up computer since main computer went down in the storm :(. But if I must load that with Linux then I will I was going to use the USB cord that converts to SATA and a USB dock for SATA just use the computer as a liaison. Main computer is covered by insurance and will be repaired or replaced but data not covered. I am not sure but I think I have 256 Mb memory and 4 GB hard drive I will have to watch boot up. I am working today will look tonight when I get home.
I read somewhere that 8.10 could run on this machine I have. There is a lot of programming to the machine to be done might need some help to debug haven’t done that in over ten years. I am sure I could get help in the forum. I will do a clean load on my Sony Vaio Pentium 4 after I put in its new case power supply failed so I bought a new case cheaper then buying power supply. I will play with the IBM had puppy running on it last night. or maybe relegate the 4 gb to NAS server duties in the computer/excersise room.
The Sony Vaio will run Ubuntu it is a pentium 4 512mb RAM am I correct

nomis101uk
November 4th, 2012, 06:25 PM
I was hoping not to have to use the Pentium 4 back up computer since main computer went down in the storm :(. But if I must load that with Linux then I will I was going to use the USB cord that converts to SATA and a USB dock for SATA just use the computer as a liaison. Main computer is covered by insurance and will be repaired or replaced but data not covered. I am not sure but I think I have 256 Mb memory and 4 GB hard drive I will have to watch boot up. I am working today will look tonight when I get home.
I read somewhere that 8.10 could run on this machine I have. There is a lot of programming to the machine to be done might need some help to debug haven’t done that in over ten years. I am sure I could get help in the forum. I will do a clean load on my Sony Vaio Pentium 4 after I put in its new case power supply failed so I bought a new case cheaper then buying power supply. I will play with the IBM had puppy running on it last night. or maybe relegate the 4 gb to NAS server duties in the computer/excersise room.
The Sony Vaio will run Ubuntu it is a pentium 4 512mb RAM am I correct

Try Bodhi Linux. It's comically fast. I'm pretty sure you could run it on a potato!
http://www.bodhilinux.com/

mzrk7
November 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM
No *buntu will run on it. If you want something easy to use on that laptop I would suggest you to look for Salix OS http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/Home. Otherwise you could always try to use Slackware or Damn Small Linux.
Good luck :)

Bucky Ball
November 5th, 2012, 12:24 AM
If you're just looking to transfer files from one machine to another you probably don't need to install Linux if you don't want. You are aware it will run from the install disk? You will be able to access plugged in external drives and internal drives running from the LiveCD if that gives you any new permutations.