PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Swype-like on-screen keyboard for Ubuntu-PC Tablet

ias
November 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Hi all,

Would be great if someone has figured out how to set up a swype-like on-screen keyboard for Ubuntu-PC Tablet.

I found these programs, but don't see that any of them run in linux:
http://alternativeto.net/software/swype/

I also saw someone wanting to do this through Wine, but he was stumped and couldn't get further help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=12334781#post12334781

grahammechanical
November 4th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Do we have a Ubuntu-PC Tablet?

I am sure that when Ubuntu tablets PCs are available for purchase they will have an on-screen keyboard that works with touch screens.

If you are using 12.10 on a computer without a touch screen you can go to System Settings>Universal Access and under the Typing tab to can activate the Typing Assistant which is in fact an on-screen keyboard.

Regards.

ias
November 5th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Do we have a Ubuntu-PC Tablet?

I am sure that when Ubuntu tablets PCs are available for purchase they will have an on-screen keyboard that works with touch screens.

If you are using 12.10 on a computer without a touch screen you can go to System Settings>Universal Access and under the Typing tab to can activate the Typing Assistant which is in fact an on-screen keyboard.

Regards.

I have an HP Elitebook 2760p, which is a laptop which can be turned into a tablet. Ubuntu 12.10 works very nicely out of the box. Very cool.

For tablet mode, there is the ubuntu-standard on-screen keyboard called 'onboard', which works fine. Then there is 'cellwriter' for writing with a stylus. There is 'magick rotation' to get the rotation going (the screen turns when you go into tablet mode).

What I would like is a swype-like on-screen keyboard. That is, one in which you slide around your finger to the different letters, to spell words.

Check the links in my original post.
Thanks.

se4n_1
December 29th, 2012, 02:23 AM
I have an acer w501. ubuntu tablets are already here, you just need to think outside the box and not rely on vendors. it works brilliantly. my advice would be to change your browser user agrnt to the nexus 7s and use onboard. im looking for something better and have filed an accessibility bug, i suggest you add a +1 to it.

see bug on launchpad 1094395

Amorget
February 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Did you ever find anything that worked?