PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint 14 & 15? I wonder

Chdslv
November 4th, 2012, 05:47 AM
What if I take Linux Mint 13 and change the repos to Raring, just like I've been doing for sometime with other Ubuntu distros?

Would I jump away from Linux Mint 14 and go to straight Linux Mint 15 alpha? I could always install new Cinnamon as it comes. Someone would make a ppa,anyway.:)

It doesn't appear such a big deal to change repos from Precise to Raring and install the newest kernel.

Just a name change in few files in /etc and in /usr/share/python-apt. I don't really know, why Ubuntu keeps on leaving gNewSense files in it, and why all other Ubuntu derivative developers keep then too.

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
November 4th, 2012, 06:16 AM
there is a nightly cinnamon ppa

cariboo
November 4th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Updating Mint using the Raring repositories will break your Mint installation, and many of the functions won't work the way they should.

Chdslv
November 4th, 2012, 06:23 AM
there is a nightly cinnamon ppa

That's the only difference.
It is considered that this nightly ppa would be used in Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10, and if it is used in 12.10, the resulting distro is already Mint 14.

One can add the Mint additional stuff to the 12.10 distro, and also the Mint repos and Mint.info from /use/share/python-apt.

There is about ten additional apps in Mint, which are different from Ubuntu and maintained by Mint. I believe they are coming from a private server, most probably Clem's server.

I might try to get Mint 13 to Raring, just for fun, but won't use it as Mint is somewhat slow, slower than Ubuntu anyway.

cariboo
November 4th, 2012, 06:56 AM
That's the only difference.
It is considered that this nightly ppa would be used in Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10, and if it is used in 12.10, the resulting distro is already Mint 14.

One can add the Mint additional stuff to the 12.10 distro, and also the Mint repos and Mint.info from /use/share/python-apt.

There is about ten additional apps in Mint, which are different from Ubuntu and maintained by Mint. I believe they are coming from a private server, most probably Clem's server.

I might try to get Mint 13 to Raring, just for fun, but won't use it as Mint is somewhat slow, slower than Ubuntu anyway.

Although it maybe fun to add the Raring repositories to Ubuntu based distributions, we are only here to test Ubuntu and it's derivatives. Any of the ubuntu based distributions have their own development cycles and bug reporting mechanisms, please use them, any problems with other than Ubuntu or it's official derivatives should be posted in the Other OS/Distro Talk (http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=401) sub-forum.

BTW the derivatives include Lubuntu. Xubuntu, Kubuntu and the as yet unnamed Gnome Remix.

Thread Closed.