eightshot
November 3rd, 2012, 02:48 PM
this is what i have done so far:

formatter HD
installed Win 7
parted of 50% of the drive space
installed Ubuntu on the empty half
rebooted

on reboot the computer took me straight though to windows, bypassing ubuntu completely.

i have checked around the net, i have the "time out" on the boot manager set to 30 seconds. so that isnt the issue.

any help would be much appreciated as im new to ubuntu (really sick of windows).

thanks

spideryada
November 3rd, 2012, 04:07 PM
The simple way was to not partition the drive in the first place and install side by side with windows. The option, to install to a partition, is more difficult as you would have had to make a small partition that was formatted as a swap file. You would have to do a custom install. I'm not sure what you did.

oldfred
November 3rd, 2012, 04:24 PM
Welcome to the forums.

If you are booting Windows, then grub2's boot loader did not get installed to the MBR.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. It may also fix your issue by offering to install grub2's boot loader to the MBR.

Boot Repair -Also handles LVM, GPT, separate /boot and UEFI dual boot.:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
You can repair many boot issues with this or 'Create BootInfo' report (Other Options) & post the link it creates, so we can see your exact configuration and diagnose advanced problems.
Full RepairCD with Boot-Repair (for newer computers)
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuSecureRemix

eightshot
November 3rd, 2012, 05:12 PM
thanks for the advice, iv managed to get it going now, as you said the GRUB didnt install correctly for some reason.

i wanted to keep the two installs very seperate so that my linux stuff was difficult to access from windows.

Only issue i have now is that linux is running deathly slow.

eightshot
November 3rd, 2012, 05:29 PM
scratch all that, im not using an OS that has THAT much adverting built in, ever.

its supposed to be a free OS. ill stick with windows.

tlhIngan
January 6th, 2013, 12:32 AM
scratch all that, im not using an OS that has THAT much adverting built in, ever.

What are you talking about?