PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Shaping Gnome: grey instead of black background

mmvk
November 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
hi,
I am Manfred from Austria, born as a skiing teacher and I am new in this forum. Ubuntu is my favorite OS and I am using it since 3 years.
Unity does not attract me, so my graphical user interface is Gnome 3.
In Ubuntu 11.10 I could arrange my desktop how I like it: discreet gray (Adwaita).
So I am willing to build my desktop in 12.04 in same way and I am sending you a screenshot:
http://mb124.de/gallery/v/mmvk/Ubuntu7+2012+11+02.png.htmlhttp://mb124.de/gallery/v/mmvk/Ubuntu7+2012+11+02.png.html
http://mb124.de/gallery/v/mmvk/Ubuntu7+2012+11+02.png.html The last black backgrounds I have in my panels in the bottom. The right panel is the previous one from the top.
Does somebody have a tip how I can change my last black backgrounds into transparent?
Best regards sent from Vienna by
Manfred

kurt18947
November 3rd, 2012, 02:22 PM
Welcome Manfred. I have had the same desire. I would suggest installing an extension from extensions.gnome.org. It's called "Activities Configurator". Among its tricks is the ability to change the transparency of the menu bar and renaming 'Activities'. Very useful.

mmvk
November 3rd, 2012, 10:55 PM
Thank you, Kurt,
but this is not "Activities and Privacy Manager Tool" in the software-center !?
Where do I find the "Activities Configurator"?
Best regards sent from Vienna by
Manfred

kurt18947
November 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry Manfred. No it is a gnome-shell extension. In Firefox type in the address bar "extensions.gnome.org". There are 10 pages of extensions for 12.10 and over 20 pages of extensions for 12.04. The reason for the difference is that currently extensions must be written or modified for different gnome versions. I believe that requirement will go away soon, in the next gnome version or two. 'Alternate Status Menu' is another popular extension. Not all extensions play well with one another but I don't know of any that will damage an install.

mmvk
November 4th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Thank you, Kurt,
the "Activities Configurator" is a Gnome extension and it can make the panel as transparent as you like it.
Unfortunately it works only in Gnome, not in Gnome Classic and not in Gnome Classic (no effects).
Gnome Classic (no effects) is my favorite desktop because I can move the upper panel to the right side and I can arrange all my starters in it.
So I am still searching.
Best regards from Vienna sent by
Manfred

kurt18947
November 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Thank you, Kurt,
the "Activities Configurator" is a Gnome extension and it can make the panel as transparent as you like it.
Unfortunately it works only in Gnome, not in Gnome Classic and not in Gnome Classic (no effects).
Gnome Classic (no effects) is my favorite desktop because I can move the upper panel to the right side and I can arrange all my starters in it.
So I am still searching.
Best regards from Vienna sent by
Manfred

Ah. I'm not at all familiar with Classic, sorry.