PDA

View Full Version : So I'll ask the blunt question...

N00b-un-2
November 2nd, 2012, 10:39 PM
Since no one else seems to have noticed, I will ask what seems to be a very obvious question. Why exactly was it that Ubuntu 12.04 was not codenamed "Penguin"? It is the most popular LINUX distro in the world after all. Being that Canonical is a South African company to the best of my knowledge, I could understand if they were sticking with animals native to the African continent, but they aren't. Quetzal's are from South and Central America, Pangolin's come from South Asia, Ocelots are indeed African, but Narwhal's are from the Arctic, etc.
Why Pangolin? Penguin would have made SOOO MUCH MORE SENSE. Most people probably don't even know what a Pangolin is.

Linuxratty
November 2nd, 2012, 10:44 PM
Maybe they are saving it for next year..Or the year after?

odiseo77
November 2nd, 2012, 11:03 PM
Or maybe penguin would have been too obvious and even redundant given the association of Linux with the image of a penguin?

Uncle Spellbinder
November 2nd, 2012, 11:26 PM
or maybe penguin would have been too obvious and even redundant given the association of linux with the image of a penguin?
+1

kostkon
November 3rd, 2012, 12:11 AM
Being that Canonical is a South African company to the best of my knowledge
Canonical is based in the UK.

offgridguy
November 3rd, 2012, 12:40 AM
So, what is a pangolin ??

StephGbzh
November 3rd, 2012, 01:25 AM
@Linuxratty: given the fact that the alphabet is consumed one letter at a time by each ubuntu release, we should see the "P" again in 13 years!

It's Mark Shuttleworth himself who chooses the name, here is his explanation for Precise Pangolin:
http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/784

Balancing all of those options, I think we have just the right mix in our designated mascot for 12.04 LTS. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Precise Pangolin.

Now, I’ve recently spent a few hours tracking a pangolin through the Kalahari. I can vouch for their precision – there wasn’t an ant hill in the valley that he missed. Their scales are a wonder of detail and quite the fashion statement. I can also vouch for their toughness; pangolin’s regularly survive encounters with lions. All in all, a perfect fit. There’s no sassier character, and no more cheerful digger, anywhere in those desert plains. If you want a plucky partner, the pangolin’s your match.

jonnyboysmithy
November 3rd, 2012, 02:56 AM
So, what is a pangolin ??
<snip>

:lolflag:
EDIT: won't be posting anymore of those links.. oops :/

offgridguy
November 3rd, 2012, 03:42 AM
Thank you; We don't have such critters in Canada. :)

Linuxratty
November 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM
@Linuxratty: given the fact that the alphabet is consumed one letter at a time by each ubuntu release, we should see the "P" again in 13 years!

!!!! I had no clue!

Nor do we..We do have armadillos,which have the same diet.

Primefalcon
November 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM
I kinda agree knowing MS.. he wouldn't want to take away from penguin from Linux.. and also, he wants to be original...

And it is his choice, beside it is just dev names anyhow

cariboo
November 3rd, 2012, 09:09 PM
This question is kind of late, as we are now in the Raring Ringtail development cycle. The names are only used during the development cycle, and after release the version number is used. Common usage, during the development cycle is to use the first part of the name, so 12.04 was referred to as Precise, so even if it had been named Precise Penguin, nobody would have referred to it as Penguin.

Elfy
November 4th, 2012, 03:40 AM
sorry .. not often one to post in a thread that's been closed - in fact there is always a first time ...

But Feisty will always be Feisty for me :p