PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 11.04 Swapped SSD from Core2 laptop to i3 Sandy Bridge, now incredibly slow

mb300
November 2nd, 2012, 09:36 PM
Hello Everyone,

I had a SSD in an old Dell Latitude D620 Core2Duo Integrated Graphics. Running 11.04 it was flawless (not a fan of 12.04, even using the rollback).

Bought a Dell 14z i3-2350M with Integrated Graphics.

Swapped the SSD straight into the new machine. Completely non-functional in normal boot (hangs at the ubuntu logo), safe mode boot got me further but it’s still non-functional.

Made a new 11.04 USB and tried it, everything works fine when running from the USB.

Is there a way to “update” my current 11.04 install from the USB to make it work or do I have to wipe everything? I hate reinstalling all of the software, especially since it was so incredibly stable before.

Thanks in advance.

snowpine
November 2nd, 2012, 09:40 PM
I recommend using the Search box at the top right of the screen to search for "Sandy Bridge" because a lot of users are having problems with this chipset.

I will say this: 11.04 is "end of life" completely obsolete and unsuported. 11.04 will never have good support for Sandy Bridge because it is no longer being updated with new hardware support (or any other type of update).