PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade Lubuntu 11.04 to 12.04

apochry
November 2nd, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hello,

I have an old machine running Lubuntu 11.04 (desktop release) that I use as a file/printer/scanner sharing server at home. I have never been prompted for system upgrades on that machine, although i have the right settings set in the update manager (under the updates tab it is set to notify me for new versions).
I want to upgrade the machine to 12.04 since it is LTS release.

Should I do that, or better not... what do you think? (11.04 is not supported anymore, as far as I know).
If yes, how should I do that? I can't make the machine see the any new available OS upgrades (I was getting updates regularly). I guess it will work with a live USB...

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated!
Thank you!

- Christo

Rex Bouwense
November 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM
I prefer to do a new install over upgrade since the upgrade would involve upgrading from 11.04 to 11.10 and then from 11.10 to 12.04. Now Lubuntu 12.04 is not an LTS as Ubuntu 12.04 is. You are correct in that support for 11.04 stopped last month. A new install will take less time and has (in my opinion) a better chance of being successful than an upgrade but that is your call. In any event back up anything that you cannot afford to lose.

apochry
November 3rd, 2012, 03:26 AM
Thanks for the reply Rex!

I was hoping to save myself some setting up of mounts, shares, scanner and printer with an upgrade.
I now realize that Lubuntu 12.04 is not a LTS... so there is no Lubuntu LTS, is this right?

What are the downsides of running a not supported *ubuntu? I know I won't get security updates and so on, but this is not critical for me since the "server" is in a closed home network behind firewall (correct me if I'm wrong on this).
I don't actually feel that the server needs an upgrade (or a new install), the machine is absolutely stable and does the job it stays for. The only think that bugs me is that 11.04 is not supported anymore.

- Christo

kalehrl
November 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM
so there is no Lubuntu LTS, is this right?You're right.
There is no Lubuntu LTS.
As I understand it, you will still be able to connect to Ubuntu repositories and update packages and download and install stuff because Lubuntu is based on Ubuntu and they share the same system. You won't receive updates for Lubuntu stuff. I myself am stuck with 12.04 because of Pentium M processor.

apochry
November 3rd, 2012, 01:52 PM
What is the problem with 12.10 and the Pentium M processor? My, so called, server has a Celeron M and I guess it will be the same as by your Pentium M.

MG&TL
November 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM
What is the problem with 12.10 and the Pentium M processor? My, so called, server has a Celeron M and I guess it will be the same as by your Pentium M.

Some processors have problems with PAE (I believe it's a CPU feature in older CPUs) and the new kernel (I.e. won't boot at all).

Lubuntu team wanted to keep support for it, but we just don't have the manpower to maintain a separate kernel to the rest of *buntu. Give it a try: there is two possible outcomes:

1) Error message on boot, to do with PAE. You've got problems.

2) Boots fine, or with different error. You haven't got problems to do with PAE.

kalehrl
November 3rd, 2012, 08:36 PM
Or, you can check if it supports PAE beforehand with this simple command:

cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae

apochry
November 4th, 2012, 04:13 PM
eli@eli-PC:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts

I guess this says it does, right?

dino99
November 4th, 2012, 04:22 PM
eli@eli-PC:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep pae
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 mtrr pge mca cmov clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx up bts

I guess this says it does, right?

exact, you are lucky, no kernel problem on that pc with 12.10 :P

note: as the old kernel is no more built, now into archive the kernel is named "generic" , but is in fact a pae one.

apochry
November 4th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Nevertheless, I seems that an upgrade will be difficult, going trough two releases in third, which isn't LTS either. And there is very good possibility something to go wrong.
On the other hand a fresh install will need all the configurations done to the current setup (setting up printer, scanner, mounts, shares, vnc, etc...). Not that is a lot of work, but I'm bored to do it again. It's fun only the first time. :-)

My main problem is that Lubuntu doesn't have LTS releases. Hence, it seems that it isn't much suitable for a small home server, since even the latest install will go unsupported in an year and a half or so... Can you recommend a lightweight distro which will suit better for this purpose? I will need a GUI since I'm not that deep in LINUX and my flatmate - not a Linux guy - has to be able to do some simple tasks on the machine (e.g. scanning, browse shares from there). It seems to me that "Ubuntu Server 12.04.1 LTS" with LXDE installed will be best...

Thank you!
- Christo

MG&TL
November 4th, 2012, 06:11 PM
My main problem is that Lubuntu doesn't have LTS releases.

Well...it sort of does.

Okay:

-Things that Lubuntu team does (basically interface stuff, some tweaks to the openbox configuration) will not be updated.

-Everything else will receive updates as per usual with *buntu.

Hope that helps a bit.

apochry
November 4th, 2012, 07:27 PM
Hope that helps a bit.

It does! I understand *ubuntu distros better now . :-)

And I have made my mind too... I will probably go for Ubuntu Server LTS and install a lightweight GUI next time, when I feel like tinkering on the old machine.

Thank you all for the helpful replies!

Regards,
- Christo

#Marking thread as solved.