PDA

View Full Version : [other] Windows based Distro Customization

technomooney
November 2nd, 2012, 06:26 PM
is there a way to customize Ubuntu livdcd (aka Ubuntu Mini Remix) with a gui from Windows? i am trying to make a linux distro for my school. this is the requirements list of which my tech director has sent me:

Your job would be to create the prototype. Here are the requirements for the first version:

1. SAMBA works with the firewall with no backend management (I don't want to have to touch the domain controller, if that is necisarry it needs to require very, very little intervention and ALL changes would have to be approved by myself and Justin--but I really think we won't have to do anything).
2. Locked down.
3. Zero customization. No changing of anything.
4. Just desktop or launcher access to chrome and/or firefox.
5. There could be a temporary downloads folder but it would be wiped after the student logged off.
6. Needs to be super-pain-free for classroom staff.
Quick startup and logon times.
Probably a lightweight version of linux.
Operating needs nothing more than a couple of double clicks
or single clicks if a nice launcher can be used.
8. Needs to be super pain free for IT staff.
If one goes down an image should be deployable to it with zero customization afterwards.
This could be a clonezilla image--in fact it should be
9. I for got to add There is NO PAE Support on these machines im installing this distro on... so i cant use umr if there isnt a version with a non-pae kernel... :(

this is my task... i am wondering, if i have to, if i can install the ubuntu mini remix and customize the packages with the recommendations from this forum? 8-[

anywho thank you ahead of time for your time!

Mark Phelps
November 2nd, 2012, 09:15 PM
We are not a homework service. Please see code of conduct which you agreed to.

http://ubuntuforums.org/index.php?page=policy

While we are happy to serve as a resource for hints and for asking questions when you get stuck and need a little help, the Ubuntu Forums is not a homework service. Please do not post your homework assignments expecting someone else to do it for you. Any such threads will be taken offline and warnings or infractions may be issued.

snowpine
November 2nd, 2012, 09:20 PM
What steps have you tried so far, and what were the specific error messages?

^--- That is the type of question we are happy to answer.