PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem with nVidia drivers

samalex
November 2nd, 2012, 11:53 AM
Hi everone,

While trying to fix a problem I ran 'dpkg --configure -a' which reconfigured everything and hosed my NVidia drivers. I finally got the video going again at normal resolution, but when I go into the NVIDIA X Server Settings then X Server Display Configuration I get this:

Unable to load X Server Display Configuration page:

The NVIDIA X driver on neptune:0.0 is not new
enough to support the nvidia-settings Display Configuration

Here are the nvidia drivers I have installed:

rc nvidia-173 173.14.35-0ubuntu0.2
ii nvidia-common 1:0.2.44.2
ii nvidia-current 295.40-0ubuntu1.1
ii nvidia-current-updates 304.43-0ubuntu0.1
ii nvidia-settings 295.33-0ubuntu1
ii nvidia-settings-updates 304.43-0ubuntu0.2

And here's my video controller:

$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation G98M [GeForce G 105M] (rev a1)

And if this matters in the Additional Drivers section i do have the NVIDIA accelerated graphics driver (version-current) one activated. Oh, and I'm running XUbuntu 12.04 with all current updates. Any suggestions? It was working like a boss before, but now I'm not sure what to try next.

Thanks for any suggestions.

samalex
November 2nd, 2012, 02:10 PM
I got it working, though just by chance I think.

I downloaded the 304.60 drivers (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux-display-amd64-304.60-driver.html) from NVIDIA's website and booted into Text to install them, which installed fine, then X never would start. So I uninstalled all the nvidia packages, which I didn't realize would also remove xdesktop, then I reinstalled xdesktop along with the nvidia-current and nvidia-current-updates packages, and after another reboot it's working and I'm now able to change my settings in the nvidia X configuration app.

So not sure exactly what I did other than probably just reset everything, but it's working so I'm not complaining :)