PDA

View Full Version : Is Linux a waste of time if my skill set is zero?

bigfisheatslittlefish
November 2nd, 2012, 03:17 AM
I've been trying to use Linux for a year now and I find it incredibly frustrating everytime I try to install a program or do anything other than the basics. I have no programming skills - honestly, am I wasting my time trying to use Linux? Do I just revert back to Windows? I don't like windows but can't afford Mac and love the principles of Linux - for example, I have struggled all day with trying to install a program. Without programming knowledge, can I successfully use Linux?

CrashActive
November 2nd, 2012, 03:24 AM
Oh no. Sorry to hear that.... my skill set in Linux is next to zero too, and I'm trying to migrate away from Windows and away from Mac (Tiger).

I was told by Linux users that it wasn't as hard as Red Hat to install programs, and that Ubuntu used visual icons, much like Mac, to install. Is this not true?

I have no wish to go back to Windows (XP was their best!) apart from staying with XP since I need it for some operations.

What kind of problems with installation are you getting?

offgridguy
November 2nd, 2012, 03:37 AM
I have been using linux ubuntu now for 4 months, there is no doubt it is a steep learning
curve. I am adventurous enough to keep at it, although it is frustrating at times.
Don't be afraid to ask for help in these forums. Nearly everyone is very helpful.
:)

pompel9
November 2nd, 2012, 03:50 AM
Internet is your friend. When I come over problems that I can't solve myself, then I usually go here or to askubuntu.

Ubuntu is no harder than windows to master, and in my opinion somewhat easier.

I had no linux experience before I switched over from windows 7 to Ubuntu 12.04. Yeah, I am a fairly new user on the linux.

rectec794613
November 2nd, 2012, 04:08 AM
I've been trying to use Linux for a year now and I find it incredibly frustrating everytime I try to install a program or do anything other than the basics. I have no programming skills - honestly, am I wasting my time trying to use Linux? Do I just revert back to Windows? I don't like windows but can't afford Mac and love the principles of Linux - for example, I have struggled all day with trying to install a program. Without programming knowledge, can I successfully use Linux?

Hi, bigfisheatslittlefish. Sorry to hear you're having problems with Linux.

You are using Ubuntu, correct? It's very easy to install programs if you use the Software Center. Have you tried it?

You shouldn't need any programming knowledge to use Ubuntu/Linux, or any OS for that matter. Learning Linux is definitely not a waste of time. You'll not only learn the basics of how computers in general work, but how the entire kernel and OS work also. The reason being is that Linux doesn't shield you from the knowledge. If you choose to do things the "hard way", such as using the terminal, you can really get to know the ins and outs of the OS.

Trust me. I went from being a little kid who knew absolutely nothing about computers to (pretty much) a computer expert in just a few years of using Linux. And that's just from regular use. No reading manuals or taking classes, etc.

What exactly are the issues you're experiencing? I'm sure we can help.

Slim Odds
November 2nd, 2012, 04:23 AM
We can't really help your feelings, but if give some details as to what you were trying to install and how you were trying to do it, we can help you figure out where you went wrong.

As was mentioned, the Software Center makes it very easy to find and install programs.

Hadaka
November 2nd, 2012, 04:29 AM
Hi, so you are frustrated because some applications and programs are difficult
to load using ubuntu? The folks who built this os are beyond amazing and the
vast knowledge and skill are unmatched. Its not a linux or ubuntu problem that
programs can be difficult, it's the software and hardware and computer manufactures
that are not fans of open source codeing. I would imagine you at one time in the not
so distant past, sat before a windows machine feeling the same frustration. Learning
computer skills takes time, some people take to advanced skills very quickly, others
do not. With the newer versions of ubuntu, there are hundreds if not thousands of
people using Ubuntu with zero programming skills. Basic simple net browsing,e-mail
spreadsheets,music, movies and the list goes on and on...they are just appliance
operators, and there is nothing wrong with that. a computer is just a tool, a machine
nothing more.and Ubuntu is FREE.

rectec794613
November 2nd, 2012, 04:41 AM
Hi, so you are frustrated because some applications and programs are difficult
to load using ubuntu? The folks who built this os are beyond amazing and the
vast knowledge and skill are unmatched. Its not a linux or ubuntu problem that
programs can be difficult, it's the software and hardware and computer manufactures
that are not fans of open source codeing. I would imagine you at one time in the not
so distant past, sat before a windows machine feeling the same frustration. Learning
computer skills takes time, some people take to advanced skills very quickly, others
do not. With the newer versions of ubuntu, there are hundreds if not thousands of
people using Ubuntu with zero programming skills. Basic simple net browsing,e-mail
spreadsheets,music, movies and the list goes on and on...they are just appliance
operators, and there is nothing wrong with that. a computer is just a tool, a machine
nothing more.and Ubuntu is FREE.

Agreed. People have to learn how to use Ubuntu just like they had to learn how to use Windows.

Paqman
November 2nd, 2012, 04:48 AM
Without programming knowledge, can I successfully use Linux?

Of course. Your problem is probably people making it sound more complicated than it really is. Let us know what you're trying to do and we can probably show you an easy way of doing it that doesn't involve typing arcane nonsense into a terminal.

Gone fishing
November 2nd, 2012, 06:01 AM
If you can't install a program then you are doing something wrong - Ubuntu it is easier than Windows in this regard.

Once Ubuntu is installed it needs to connect to the internet, with a little luck this will just work, otherwise if you are using wireless you might need to connect to your router with a cable and install the wireless drivers.

Installing programs is then as easy as opening Software Centre finding the program and clicking install and entering your password. No searching the Internet etc - easy.

You can use Ubuntu without using the terminal at all, the terminal just gives you more options and choice.

sffvba[e0rt
November 2nd, 2012, 06:08 AM
Thread moved to Cafe.

Not a support request.

mr john
November 2nd, 2012, 06:22 AM
The more you ask for help, the more skills you will develop.

rectec794613
November 2nd, 2012, 06:25 AM
I assume you have an answer by now. :) You can always come to the support forums if you have a specific issue that you need resolved. Of course, you can still just ask here, but it isn't recommended and you may not get all the help you need.

We hope you can get your problems fixed and be able to enjoy your Ubuntu/Linux experience. Take care!

Gremlinzzz
November 2nd, 2012, 01:07 PM

You should dual boot windows,see which OS you would use most.
[I have no programming skills ] trying to install a program. Without programming knowledge seems to be the problem.maybe some books may help or a school.self taught is always the hardest way to learn.

offgridguy
November 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM
If you can't install a program then you are doing something wrong - Ubuntu it is easier than Windows in this regard.

I disagree, i have had a lot of problems like the OP trying to install programs, it's an easy
answer to say "you are doing something wrong" I am not an advanced user, but I am not
a novice either and lets face it installing programs isn't rocket science. i am glad to see
all the offers to help the OP. :)

codemaniac
November 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM

If you look around, you will find there are a galaxy of users without any programming skills happily living with Linux. ;)

malspa
November 2nd, 2012, 01:51 PM
Any tool is wasted if you don't learn how to use it.

grahammechanical
November 2nd, 2012, 01:56 PM
I try to give something back for the gift of Ubuntu by trying to give help on this forum.

I am amazed at the number of posts I see where the person says that they are new at Linux or Ubuntu and then they relate that they are trying to do something that a new user should not attempt to do.

I used to read Linux magazines. I saw instructions for doing things using the command line. It was all very complicated and comes with the risk of not getting the codes/commands right. Of course, when a person knows what they are doing, then it is all very easy. But we have to learn. And no one should think that the learning process is going to be easy.

I find that if I use Ubuntu as a daily work operating system then I can do everything I need without knowing too much about Linux and all that stuff. I have noticed how Ubuntu has simplified many things since I started using it five years ago.

It used to be that we could make adjustments using 3 or more different methods. Now, there are just two and that can realistically be reduced to one, as very little needs to be done using the command line.

I find that people are not content with a default setup of Ubuntu. They want to modify it in this way or that way. Then they mess up and they want a simple fix. Which is just not possible.

screaminj3sus
November 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
What programs are you trying to install? Anything in ubuntu's repos is just a few clicks, and ubuntu's repos are large. In addition things that aren't in the repos often have a ppa or a .deb download, which is also very easy. I've only ever had to compile an application in ubuntu once in the years that I've used it.

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2012, 03:05 PM
Anyone can successfully use ubuntu. To install it all you need to know is your name, city and timezone, and how much harddrive space you want to dedicate to it. And if you use the command line alot it doesn't take long to pick up. You'll start to realize most of the commands make a lot of sense and were designed by humans for use by humans. You want to learn linux in a hurry? Try arch. It's a a somewhat complicated distro made simple by explaining everything on their wiki pages.

Mark Phelps
November 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
Installing programs in Ubuntu is no harder than installing them in Windows, in fact, it is actually easier since you have what is basically a catalog in the Software Center.

However ... that said, because Linux has roots in the enthusiast community, there are always several ways to do essentially the same thing, ranging from easy to very hard.

Installing apps using .deb files can be hard because of the problem of dependencies. So, if you're going it THIS way, you're making it hard on yourself.

Installing apps by building executables from source is VERY hard. If you're doing it this way, then you have no one to blame but yourself for Linux being hard.

A big difference between Linux and Windows is the ready availability of drivers -- and the ease with which they are installed. EVERYONE makes Windows drivers, they usually come on the product CD, and installing them is usually just running a setup program from the CD.

Linux drivers, if they are found during setup, are installed automatically. Some drivers are easily added after setup using Additional Drivers. Other drivers are extremely hard, if not impossible, to hunt down and install -- because they often have to be built from scratch.

So basically, if you WANT to install apps from source code and/or build your own drivers from source code -- then Linux is going to be a STEEP learning curve -- because there's really no equivalent to doing this in MS Windows.

mamamia88
November 2nd, 2012, 04:14 PM
Installing programs in Ubuntu is no harder than installing them in Windows, in fact, it is actually easier since you have what is basically a catalog in the Software Center.

However ... that said, because Linux has roots in the enthusiast community, there are always several ways to do essentially the same thing, ranging from easy to very hard.

Installing apps using .deb files can be hard because of the problem of dependencies. So, if you're going it THIS way, you're making it hard on yourself.

Installing apps by building executables from source is VERY hard. If you're doing it this way, then you have no one to blame but yourself for Linux being hard.

A big difference between Linux and Windows is the ready availability of drivers -- and the ease with which they are installed. EVERYONE makes Windows drivers, they usually come on the product CD, and installing them is usually just running a setup program from the CD.

Linux drivers, if they are found during setup, are installed automatically. Some drivers are easily added after setup using Additional Drivers. Other drivers are extremely hard, if not impossible, to hunt down and install -- because they often have to be built from scratch.

So basically, if you WANT to install apps from source code and/or build your own drivers from source code -- then Linux is going to be a STEEP learning curve -- because there's really no equivalent to doing this in MS Windows.

Yeah if you are compiling then you are intentionally making it hard on yourself. Here is the order that you should look for available software. 1. official repos. 2. ppas-basically an unofficial repo which will function the same for all intents and purposes and 3. deb files.

Slim Odds
November 2nd, 2012, 04:45 PM
Exactly.....

As I asked the OP:

1) What program are you trying to install?

2) How were you trying to install it?

We can ramble on all day long, but until we know these we are going nowhere.

Turalyon
November 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Hi there,

No...you're not wasting your time...none of you are.

I was introduced to Linux (Ubuntu) back in 2008 and have gone back and forth from Linux to Windows every since then. I have two separate hard drives on my computer, one has Linux and one has Windows. I just bounce back and forth depending on my mood.

I still don't know how to go into a terminal and spew out some mad coding and make some wicked things happen, BUT...

I have learned SOOO much about computers in general BECAUSE of Linux (usually Ubuntu but sometimes Lubuntu or Fedora and even Apache Server).

I have learned a lot about networking, general programming, editing and creating graphics, hardware and software, making websites... You name it, and I have been loosely introduced and associated with it because of Linux.

I admit I have never given Linux a focused study and immersed myself in it with a "Learn this or you may not have it" approach. Maybe I should some day. I only made this account a few months ago even in early 2012.

Still..

Don't feel bad I am a student at E.C.P.I. and have been since July of last year (2011). Even to this day I still don't fully understand Linux nor do I expect to any time soon. I know sometimes it can be frustrating when something doesn't work or it will never work simply because a generic open source driver is not available. Sometimes things can be a bit daunting even after you have been messing with Linux for a while, but trust me, every time you fix one of those problems, or find a workaround for a problem you LEARNED something.

It's even more gratifying when you do something really cool like use Compiz Fusion and show it off to your friends. Then they start saying "Wow you must be some kind of leet haxor or something" It's when you manage to "wow" someone else that was on your perceived level of understanding that you KNOW that you have gotten somewhere and learned something.

Just hang in there, the worst thing that could happen is that you corrupt the OS somehow on your HD. In which case you can simply reinstall the OS if need be. I'll admit I have done that so many times I hate to even count them all.

Linuxratty
November 2nd, 2012, 05:11 PM
Everyone here used to have a skill set of 0 when we started Windows and when we picked up Linux...Keep at it, you will do fine.

Turalyon
November 2nd, 2012, 05:19 PM
Tell me about it...I can't even name how many times I shot myself in the foot trying to modify something in the past 5 years.

Even today I am trying to change the image overlay magnifying glass found in compiz-fusion to something more personalized.

AlexDudko
November 2nd, 2012, 05:23 PM
It seems the thread starter doesn't need your answers.

offgridguy
November 3rd, 2012, 12:28 AM
I used to read Linux magazines. I saw instructions for doing things using the command line. It was all very complicated and comes with the risk of not getting the codes/commands right. Of course, when a person knows what they are doing, then it is all very easy. But we have to learn. And no one should think that the learning process is going to be easy.

really appreciate your repy,thank you

Gone fishing
November 3rd, 2012, 12:50 AM
I disagree, i have had a lot of problems like the OP trying to install programs

How? If you are installing a program from the software centre it really couldn't be easier. Open the Centre select the program, provide password and your done.

If possible this is the best way to install (and it usually is - on my boxes all the sofware is installed this way). If your compiling from source code that is certanly the task for a more experienced user and you may need help, but generally should be avoided use the software in the repositories. Installing from a deb - again I would avoid if possible as you may not get security updates etc but the software centre will install these and sort out dependacies,

Mikeb85
November 3rd, 2012, 12:58 AM
Linux is much simpler than most people make it out to be. Installing any program can be done easily through the GUI, if something isn't in the Software Centre, odds are it's in Synaptic, or for things like Chrome, Google Earth, Skype, installing is as easy as downloading a .deb and double clicking on it.

The command line really isn't needed, nor are any specific skills. I personally find Linux much easier to use than Windows, just different.

Rezliw
November 3rd, 2012, 01:30 AM
Thinking if you have to ask the question, the answer is YES

BTW what applications are you intending to run, e.g. what do you wish you could do with your computer

. .:popcorn:

JDShu
November 3rd, 2012, 03:28 AM
I like how this thread has gotten so long and the OP hasn't replied.

Maybe it's because it was moved to the CC from where it was at first and the OP can't find it and thinks it got deleted?

rectec794613
November 3rd, 2012, 03:55 AM

Maybe it's because it was moved to the CC from where it was at first and the OP can't find it and thinks it got deleted?

Yes. Like I said yesterday, I think by now the OP has their answer. Any more answers are just a waste of time.

ikt
November 3rd, 2012, 06:25 AM
http://teachersinsport.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/motivationashark.jpg

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."

― Theodore Roosevelt

This goes for all the noobies out there, just keep going and you'll get it, I promise.

Linux_junkie
November 3rd, 2012, 11:40 AM
Don't you guys think that as the OP hasn't responded to any of your comments and that they had been trying for a year to use Linux and still claim that you need programming experience to install software that the OP is a TROLL and their aim of the thread was to have a laugh at our expense?

Erik1984
November 3rd, 2012, 12:27 PM

Problem is people seem to reply without reading other posts first, too eager to express their own (lengthy) opinion. This happens all over the internet, so I'm not blaming Ubuntuforums specifically for this.

sffvba[e0rt
November 3rd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Posting posts to point out how pointless some posts are seems to be replicating the problem.

This section of the forum is not for support. If OP has a specific problem and needs help he can post in the relevant sub-forum.

aysiu
November 4th, 2012, 03:06 AM
Based on the OP's posting history, the only program I can see she or he had trouble installing is Parallels, which I believe is a Mac-only program. Someone suggested VirtualBox instead... no response to the suggestion.

and1bskbl72
November 4th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Don't give up on Ubuntu, once you get the basics, it's far more easier to use than Windows. Persistence and willingness to learn!

Paari
November 4th, 2012, 10:29 AM
Well there is nothing wrong in trying the hard way around... I wont say I'm quite knowledgeable in operating system concepts and other such stuff, but yet I'm quite comfortable with using Linux, I mean Ubuntu. Whenever I get into some trouble using Linux or installing applications, I either Google it or search the forums here. If they don't work, I straight away post my problem here. The guys here are cool. They're expert. They'll provide good guidance and tips for you to resolve your problem. I love my Ubuntu Desktop than anything else. See that ??? So why Windows Why mac... This is great. Welcome to the Ubuntu world !!
:guitar:

offgridguy
November 4th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Don't give up on Ubuntu, once you get the basics, it's far more easier to use than Windows. Persistence and willingness to learn!

Yeah right, ;);););)

28c64
November 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM
At first I had a hard time transitioning. A bit after I started using Linux I read up on how to configure Arch Linux. It was a pain at first, but to be honest, my time spent using Arch Linux helped me get a thorough understanding of how Linux functions and is configured in general.

I switched over to Arch completely for quite a while, then recently removed it and now I'm using Xubuntu 12.04. The simple issues I had headaches about before have been completely eliminated just from obtaining an understanding of how everything works together, it doesn't seem cumbersome anymore.

I would recommend trying to setup Arch Linux in (example) virtualbox, just to play around in, it may help clear a few things up. Their documentation is insane, just check out their page. I still find myself going to their wiki for certain answers, even today.

Also, the setup for Arch can be very lengthy, I would recommend spending just a short amount a time a day working on it and learning from the wiki so you don't burn yourself out.

However, this "may" not work for you. This is only how my learning curve was personally met.

nothingspecial
November 4th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Unless the OP would like this thread re-opened, I think we'll leave this here.